American Legion Gold Life Membership Card

Fred Borgmann

Fred Borgmann
American Legion Gold Life Membership Card
American Legion 10 k Gold Life Membership Card. This is the only one of these that I have ever seen. I do remember seeing ads in the American Legion magazine offering these gold cards for sale back in the early 1960’s. The card is 92 x 54 mm in size and weighs 23.74 grams. Attached at the bottom is a membership lapel button which also looks to be gold with the exception of the attached center part wreath and star which is copper. The reverse is blank with only a makers mark, patent number and 10 K. The entire design is incuse or engraved. My only regret is that this is not an award of some kind.

post-591-0-75338400-1550006428_thumb.jpg

Fred,

I have never seen one of these before now. It is something else! Have you determined who it belonged to and the extent of his service? The engraving looks to me as

March 18, 1923

Emil Gehrike

Norris - Spencer post 263

New London, Wisconsin

This is a really nice addition to your collection.

Kevin

Fred Borgmann

Thanks Kevin! I see the brass versions have trouble with the green verdigris. Thanks OCS, you have had 6-8 of the gold versions!! Not as rare as I thought then. Wonder if the Legion is still taking orders? Sounds like you should think about getting one for yourself since gold will not likely get cheaper again in the near future.

They are rare but seldom come up on eBay due to the enormous amounts of cash for gold stores.

I have to look at my photos but they were all pre gold standard expiration.

Heavy too and the legion emblem is gold too. I imagine they were prized possessions.

Fred Borgmann

Kevin, there were two Emil Gehrkes from Wisc. in WWI. One was USMC, (not this one) and this one was an army corporal

in the Medical Department who was from Manawa, which is close to New London.

Kurt,

If you look on the back, you should see that there is a 10k mark hidden there. On these the American Legion emblem is typically 10k.

Steve

I am writing a book on American Legion national conventions and have had a tremendous amount of other legion memorabilia move through my hands.

Kurt,

If you look on the back, you should see that there is a 10k mark hidden there. On these the American Legion emblem is typically 10k.

Steve

I am writing a book on American Legion national conventions and have had a tremendous amount of other legion memorabilia move through my hands.

Hi Steve, mine has Sterling and also 10K stamped on it as you had indicated.

Kurt

IMG_5608.PNG

suwanneetrader

I know my Dad was a Life Member in the VFW and I think also in the American Legion. I found the VFW one (see pic) but not the Legion one. Richard

post-15934-0-30190800-1550086192.jpgpost-15934-0-17832500-1550086214.jpg

The gold content of these membership badges make them worth more as scrap than they do as collectible militaria. I am afraid that over time, their rarity will only increase as more and more get melted for scrap.

As one of the largest collectors and dealers of American Legion items for the past 14 years I can say that these 10k life membership cards are not collectible unless you have one from a very famous person.

The scrap value of this card is $415.64

The Legion hit 100 years of operation this year and nothing from the American Legion (unless from a famous person) is worth more than scrap value. I can guarantee this.

The American Legion at it's National Convention every years chooses to give one person a Distinguished Service Medal. I have the 10k one given to MLB Commissioner Bowie Kuhn in 1978. This could belong at Cooperstown but is in my personal collection as I purchased it from his estate auction.

Here is the most unusual American Legion medal I have ever come across. It was awarded to a chaplain who saved lives during an airplane crash in 1952 in which he was also a passenger.

IMG_5615.PNG

IMG_5616.PNG