S. Vietnam made U.S. medals ?

P-59A

This rack of medals looks like noting I have seen made by U.S. company's. From the ribbon to the medal and attachment it looks like these were made in S. Vietnam to me. Any opinions?

post-169522-0-97014800-1549943373_thumb.jpg

post-169522-0-02642000-1549943387_thumb.jpg

The Vietnam Campaign(green/white ribbon) was a Vietnamese award so many are Vietnamese made and awarded to US and Vietnamese veteran alike

Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal with Device (1960– ) to members of the South Vietnamese military for wartime service and on March 24, 1966, to members of the U.S. military for support of operations in Vietnam. In May 1966, other allied foreign military personnel became eligible for the award.

Was that common practice to have another country make US medals?

Yes,quite common during Vietnam.

All types of US insignia was produced in country.Most commonly the parachute wings and Combat infantry badges.

The Vietnam Campaign(green/white ribbon) was a Vietnamese award so many are Vietnamese made and awarded to US and Vietnamese veteran alike

Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal with Device (1960– ) to members of the South Vietnamese military for wartime service and on March 24, 1966, to members of the U.S. military for support of operations in Vietnam. In May 1966, other allied foreign military personnel became eligible for the award.

If you zoom in on the other two, they are way different than US made medals.

If you zoom in on the other two, they are way different than US made medals.

Yes not uncommon.Some can be very crude even.

Also the Dragon on typical VN produced Vietnam Service medals are made showing the dragon behind the bamboo.The US made are different.

Yes not uncommon.Some can be very crude even.

Also the Dragon on typical VN produced Vietnam Service medals are made showing the dragon behind the bamboo.The US made are different.

I didn't know that, Thanks!

SVN made medals are not nearly as scarce as people would like to think they are, usually they are found in navy groupings! They are very popular though and I always attain a nice premium when I sell them, I think people feel they are just that much more authentic! As others have said quality ranges from extremely detained to extremely un detailed and extremely poor metal quality! Nice set of medals!