27th-31rd march 45, ETO - 166th Signal Photographic Company, Charles A. Sullivan, Third Army, 87th inf div.-345th inf reg - Any photos? 9th armored di

Chris_83

Hi there!

I am looking for any photos from 27th to 31th march 1945 in the ETO, within the context of the 166th singal photographic, Charles A. Sullivan, Third Army or 87th inf. div. 345th regiment.

Short Background: At Easter 1945, timeframe from 27th to 31rd March the 11th Jäger regiment of the 6th SS Mountain Division "Nord" battled the us-american troops at my homeregion, northwest of Frankfurt am Main or north of Wiesbaden and east of Koblenz. The 6th SS nord withdraw and was finally destroyed on 3rd April 45 northeast of Frankfurt am Main at Büdingen.

The 345th inf regiment of the 87th us inf div. "golden acorn" was present here, when the ss soldiers started to attacked them. The german villages unwingilly involved were Niederselters and Eisenbach. Because of the attack, the Americans replied the fire and started an artillery bombardement and mortar attack onto my hometown, Eisenbach, especialy on the 29th march of 45. Both towns names are listed in the offical conquered list of the 87th div.

I have readed the after actions reports in the own history book of the 87th. Eisenbach is mentioned, but sadly the artillery bombardement is completey missing. That mystery wont be solved nevermore now. I contacted the 87th and the press/public affairs speaker. She replied and got me the attached photo from NARA. The divison itself doesnt have any photos from my wanted timeframe of my homeregion. It is the only photo in NARA of Niederselters and that particular time. Nothing of Eisenbach. She even watched trough Eisenach, if there is one photo misslabeld stored, but sadly no.

As you can read, it was done by Charles A. Sullivan of the 166th signal corps company. Maybe you have similar looking negatives or photos in your collection or album ?? Or more photos done by Sullivan in those days? Or just photos from the 87th us inf. div,like 345th inf regiment or the artillery company????????

I am pretty sure, if one photos exists, then more photos should exists somewhere else, very likely in the US. I dont expect here is anyone who can help me, but i give it a try. Maybe you can watch through your collection or grandpas photo album, PLEASE??

What i have done so far:

- contacted the 87th uns infantry division

- got help there and she looked through NARA. Only one photo.

- contacted some 166th reenactment groups. Only one replied and seemed helpfull at first in facebook, but suddenly the admin blocked me for me unknown reason. Maybe i got on his balls asking for photos. I dunno,

- asked commentartors in youtube in videoclips about the 87th. Noone ever replied on my Questions.

As you can read the background text just mentioned Third Army. The Photo is missing in the historiy book of the 87th, but i have found the photo in this booklet about the 87th. Eisenbach and Niederselters and the actions of the 29th march are completey missing in the text. Not even mentioned in a foot note. I dont know why.

http://www.genealogycenter.info/military/wwii/viewpage_87infantry.php?realpage=190&display=33

The 345th regiment came up the main street from Dauborn(Dearborn) and stopedat the Autobahn, above Niederselters, where the photo was shot.

I have attached a bw pic from a postcard of the church and the damaged war memorial of Eisenbach. Maybe you would recognize.

I have linked a black and white pic from the 1970s of the church and townhall of Niedeselters, which looked quite the same as in 1945.

Townhall Niederselters (or Neider Seltzer)

http://denkxweb.denkmalpflege-hessen.de/media/anzeige/24/302/51998/LMW3217.jpg

Church Niederselters

http://denkxweb.denkmalpflege-hessen.de/media/anzeige/24/302/51997/LMW3219.jpg

Remarkable spots. Which would be the first to photoshooting, i guess.

I dont know if Sullivan went with 345th inf regiment or if he was just present because he was nearbay.

On the Autobahn, the 9th armored divison was en route from Limburg an der Lahn (Limberg) downside to Frankfurt am Main. The SS soldiers attacked the tanks aswell.

I have found this photo in pinterest, with the 2 following descriptions:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/28/fa/0f/28fa0fd43bc6f77afecd430177f5734e.jpg

Astride one of Hitler's military superhighways, self-propelled 105mm guns blast away at Nazi anti-tankers near Werschau.

73rd Armored Field Artillery Battalion, 9th Armored Division, near Werschau, Germany. 6 April 45

Werschau is close to Niederseltes, but if this was really done at Werschau, then the date of 6 April is absolute false..

Any similar looking photo or secriptipon wouid be great too!

Thank you very much. Any help very preciate!

Chris form Germany.

post-213839-0-80771900-1549915547_thumb.jpg

post-213839-0-03863000-1549916098.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody here who may have an idea how or where to get more photos from that artillerybombardement or photos from Eisenbach and Niederselters done by US-military photographs in 1945? Or even later, like 1946 to 1949?

Someboy who may know Veterans or their descandants, who would may look through photoalbums?

Are there any other military archives in the US with the context and timeframe i seek for?

P.S. if you would like to use this photo in any way, it would be very nice to mention my name, because it took me some effort to struggle it out of the national archives.

Cheers

Chris_83

• 1 month later...
Armygrandaughter

I might have some photos. Not real sure if it's what you're looking for but I can send them to you if you'd like to take a look? You have an email I can send them to?

I might have some photos. Not real sure if it's what you're looking for but I can send them to you if you'd like to take a look? You have an email I can send them to?

Yes sure! Go ahead please. If i dont look i dont find. I sent u an PM.