US Medals for review

kristoffer

Hello,

A small collection of US medals showed up recently at a local auction site.

I found two that I am interested in but I have a few concerns. A few of the medals is said to be WWII but the engraving and broches are definately not WWII vintage. So my hope is that you guys could give your opinions. On the engraving and the broches.

Regards Kristoffer

post-2812-0-99646700-1549886251_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I got the medal now and saw that it was numbered. 15164. I got a comment on the medal that this strike should have slot brooch and that the wrap brooch went to the 7k range and that the second strike should have a slot brooch.

Have I bought a medal with a replaced ribbon or it this incorrect?

Thanks

Kristoffer

Kristopher,

There is nothing wrong with the brooch on your medal. The numbered DSCs start with a wrap brooch, move over to a slot brooch and then back to a wrap brooch. Your medal is correct.

Allan

Thanks Allan. That's good to hear!

I am really happy to have this in my collection now.

Now I just need to find a case for it.

Regards Kristoffer

This Soldier's Medal, with identical engraving to the Silver Star, has been in my collection for over 20 years. (Unfortunately I don't have a record on exactly when or where I acquired it.) I've been unable to locate any service records on the recipient.

post-10651-0-69827100-1551899379.jpg

post-10651-0-90504000-1551899385_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

These medals appear impressed as opposed to engraved. You can see the ridges created by the letters being pressed into the planchet as opposed to metal being removed by the process of engraving. It's an interesting serifed font that suggests to me the mid 1950's era, but that is just conjecture, not fact. Regardless, nice medals!