U.S.Army Class A Vietnam, Big Red One 1967/68 PH

P-59A

"1967 saw the division in Operation Cedar Falls, Operation Junction City, Operation Manhattan, Operation Billings, and Operation Shenandoah II. MG John H. Hay assumed command in February. On 17 June 1967, during Operation Billings, the division suffered 185 casualties, 35 killed and 150 wounded in the battle of Xom Bo II.[20] Three months later on 17 October 1967, the 1st I.D suffered heavy casualties at the Battle of Ong Thanh with 58 killed.

The division involved in the Tet Offensive of 1968, securing the massive Tan Son Nhut Air Base. In March, MG Keith L. Ware took command. That same month the division took part in Operation Quyet Thang("Resolve to Win") and in April the division participated in the largest operation of the Vietnam War, Operation Toan Thang ("Certain Victory"). On 13 September, the division commander, MG Ware, was killed in action when his command helicopter was shot down by enemy anti-aircraft fire.[21] MG Orwin C. Talbott moved up from his position of assistant division commander to assume command of the division" The ribbon bar shows two tours in Vietnam , but the hash marks indicate one year over seas service??? The date the jacket was made gives me a rough time frame of service time and the info above gives a rough idea of combat in Vietnam for that time frame.

I believe several companies of the 41st Inf supported Combat Developments Command at Ft. Ord, so it was his assignment after his return from Vietnam.

The two stars on the Vietnam Service Medal don't mean "two tours." They mean the soldier is credited with service in two of the many named campaigns of the Vietnam War. He could easily have been there during the overlap of two campaigns in a one year tour in-country.

The Branch of Service collar insignia are on the wrong lapel.

I believe several companies of the 41st Inf supported Combat Developments Command at Ft. Ord, so it was his assignment after his return from Vietnam.

The two stars on the Vietnam Service Medal don't mean "two tours." They mean the soldier is credited with service in two of the many named campaigns of the Vietnam War. He could easily have been there during the overlap of two campaigns in a one year tour in-country.

Thank you, a buddy sent a text about my ribbon mistake. I didn't catch the collar devise error. I thought they looked off because they were not placed correctly....they were more off than I thought.

I did a look and the collar disk and they are placed correctly, they still look off round to me, but when I looked behind the lapel that is how they were placed as indicated by the impressions left by the clutch backs on the cloth.

They should be on the upper lapels, not the lower ones. Is there any evidence they were ever on the correct lapels?

Nope, no pin holes on either side.

Nope, no pin holes on either side.

That's weird, no way he'd get away with wearing them on the lower lapels, but then these wool or in this case wool poly blend don't show blemishes too often or too noticeable when pin on insignia are there.

That's weird, no way he'd get away with wearing them on the lower lapels, but then these wool or in this case wool poly blend don't show blemishes too often or too noticeable when pin on insignia are there.

The impression made by the clutch backs on the collar insignia was not as great as the ribbon or CBI clutch back impressions. My guess is they came off and were put back on incorrectly at a later date. I placed them in the correct place.

The impression made by the clutch backs on the collar insignia was not as great as the ribbon or CBI clutch back impressions. My guess is they came off and were put back on incorrectly at a later date. I placed them in the correct place.

Yes, the marks left by ribbons or CIB clutch backs as well as rank and shoulder patches will be quite noticeable on AG 44 Class A coats because of the thin lining, this lining of artificial silk always leaves marks.

• 2 weeks later...

The rope might be a Belgian one, 41st Armored Infantry Regiment awarded one as a part of the 2nd Armored Division in WWII

Belgian Fourragere 1940

• Cited in the Order of the Day of the Belgian Army for action in Belgium
  • Cited in the Order of the Day of the Belgian Army for action in the Ardennes

A curious one, as it looks faded, and there one just like it in this topic, also on a Class A Viet Vet coat, though here it's supposed to be a french one., My guess too as Allan H put forth in the below topic now is that both of these are South Vietnamese made, and used bad dyes.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/202194-vietnam-199th-infantry-brigade-uniform-shoulder-cord/

Hi all, sorry to inform you that the fourragere is not a Belgian one...

Hi all, sorry to inform you that the fourragere is not a Belgian one...

RVR, The thinking on the fourragere is that it is S. Vietnam issue. For a short period of time the U.S. allowed this to be worn for multiple awards. It was later decided the multiple awards fourragere could not be worn by US troops and only the Cross of Gallantry with no indication of other awards could be worn. The color seems to be off due to poor dyes used by the S. Vietnamese. It seems this uniform is correct for the time and place it was worn, but was not allowed after the US changed its policy on this award. That is as best as I understand it at this time. Yours David