Dog Tags With Unusual Religion -Can't Locate Soldier

otter42

Bought these yesterday, his religion is marked as United Brotheren. Unable to locate this man, can't find him on NARA, would like any help, thanks. Hadn't seen this one before.

Here's a little history I got off Wikipedia:

The Church of the United Brethren in Christis an evangelical Christian denominationbased in Huntington, Indiana. It is a Protestant denomination of episcopalstructure, Arminian theology, with roots in the Mennonite and German Reformedcommunities of 18th-century Pennsylvania, as well as close ties to Methodism. It was organized in 1800 by Martin Boehm and Philip William Otterbein and is the first American denomination that was not transplanted from Europe. It emerged from United Brethren churches that were at first unorganized, and not all of which joined this church when it was formally organized in 1800, following a 1789 conference at the Otterbein Church (Baltimore, Maryland).

In 1889, a controversy over membership in secret societies such as the Freemasons, the proper way to modify the church's constitution, and other issues split the United Brethren into majority liberal and minority conservative blocs, the latter of which was led by Bishop Milton Wright (father of the Wright Brothers). Both groups continued to use the name Church of the United Brethren in Christ.

The majority faction, known as the Church of the United Brethren in Christ (New Constitution), merged with the Evangelical Church in 1946 to form a new denomination known as the Evangelical United Brethren Church (EUB). This in turn merged in 1968 with The Methodist Church to form the United Methodist Church (UMC).

The Wright-led faction (The Church of the United Brethren in Christ, Old Constitution) continues today as a denomination of about 550 congregations, with 47,300 members in fifteen countries. The US National Conference consists of about 200 churches and 25,000 members in the United States, plus mission districts in Haiti and India. The United States national office, known as Healthy Ministry Resources, is located in Huntington, Indiana, as is the denomination's only college, Huntington University.

Thanks for looking, Ken

post-4732-0-19606100-1549837217_thumb.jpg

Service number has an RA (Regular Army) prefix....What time period would these have been used?....Vietnam?....Sorry, I cannot comment on the United Brothern religious designation...Bodes

HeritageMilitariaOrlando

Thanks for the help, can I still request his records? I have only done it for WWII vets, and is it the same process?

Thanks Ken

As memory serves, my grandfather's service number changed from the WW2 format to RA in 1947 when he left the AAF as it disbanded and became a separate branch and he went into the Army. You can request what records there are through St. Louis. At a minimum, they should have his final pay stub.