Japanese Dog Tag Okinawa Bring Back

muddyboots

I picked this up and was very lucky to get information about the Vet who brought this back. His name is Daniel R Felts and was attached to Headquarters And Service Company And Weapons Company, 1st Marines, 1st Marine Division. Daniel was apart of the 25th Replacement Draft and arrived at Guadalcanal in time for maneuvers and after training was done was sent to Pavuvu for regular duties and training. By April he was shipped to Okinawa and participated in the assault landing. Here he picked up this tag that belongs to the 2nd Field Fortification Unit under the 32nd Army. Daniel went through the campaign and possibly on to China until his discharge in January 1946.

post-24366-0-60125000-1549725122_thumb.jpeg

Awesome bring back! I have one from an Okinawa cave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you and I couldnt have passed it up especially with confirmation on the Vet.

Really nice item. Is anything written on the other side? I have one that appears to be made of aluminum. Does anyone out there, knowledgeable about these, know whether Japanese dog tags were ever made of aluminum?

This one appears to have only numbers (unless there is something on the other side.

Left = 70

Middle = 3

Right = 10158

Really nice item. Is anything written on the other side? I have one that appears to be made of aluminum. Does anyone out there, knowledgeable about these, know whether Japanese dog tags were ever made of aluminum?

Nothing on the back but a mark left by the string that was ran through it. Ive seen them made out of brass, steel, wood and aluminum. Have you had it looked at, if not you might try posting it over on the World Militaria Forum in the Japan section. I posted mine on Wehrmacht Awards in the Japanese section. I forgot about the new forum .

post-24366-0-93208000-1549728438_thumb.jpeg

Just got this picture in a email. It a picture taken while in Okinawa. His dad is behind the wheel and standing behind him is Pops Mason. This is a great picture.

post-24366-0-95074900-1549749612_thumb.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
russ santangelo

I have one made of aluminum.

muddyboots

I have one made of aluminum.

I have seen them made of copper, brass, steel, aluminum, bamboo and wood. I cant tell you why they mixed it up like that but it couldve been on what was available at the time.