Unusual NVA sun helmet - USMC bringback

jlhworks

Since I already posted some Korean War bringbacks, here's a Vietnam one I recently acquired. There have been a lot of the standard green sun helmets posted, but I've never seen another like this posted on any forum.

It was brought back by Lawrence "Butch" Williams 2nd Marines 3rd Battalion. I think the unit is right, still waiting for confirmation. He served on an Amtrack. I was told this one came from a direct KIA, it looks like it sat upside down in the rain for some time before he picked it up. There are remnants of a floral pattern label inside (yes, some wartime helmets had labels).

The most interesting aspect is the color, it's a very light light green or a khaki. That's the actual color, it's not faded or painted. It also features a hand-drawn star, which are sometimes seen on NVA and VC headgear. The fabric is glued with resin - I believe this was done on earlier models of NVA sun helmet.

post-160076-0-63591100-1549678863_thumb.jpg

post-160076-0-12967600-1549678945_thumb.jpg

Interested in Korean War bring backs.

Offering militaria from all countries, all eras.

http://mwmilitaria.com

Cool find. I have no idea what it is, however.

North Vietnamese Army sun helmet, from the Vietnam War

Very very nice helmet, especially with the provenance.

Collector of Vietnam and Korean War Sniper Weapons

• 4 weeks later...

Wonderful piece.

donation2012.gif

Always looking for quality WWI and WWII USMC items. Particularly 4th Marine Brigade related items, medals, uniforms helmets ephemera, Also WWII USMC items including uniforms, medals, etc. to combat veterans especially Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Iwo Jima. Let me know what you have. Semper Fi

Nice early helmet, leather strap? Numba 1 !!!!

"The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him" G.K. Chesterton

"A people that values it's privileges above its principles will soon lose both" D.D. Eisenhower

donation2009.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2017.gif

I like it! I passed on one lately that I just was not sure on, if it was post war or not. It was also identified and I knew a bit about the guy who maybe brought it back. I am not sure if he got it wartime, or maybe went back well after the war?

In web searching, I have found it difficult to get comfortable on being able to tell wartime versus postwar souvenir. If someone knows a definitive site that lists that, please link it.

Yours, having a tie to who brought it back, is really cool since it sounds as if you can prove the connection? Thanks for posting it.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif
donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

I like it! I passed on one lately that I just was not sure on, if it was post war or not. It was also identified and I knew a bit about the guy who maybe brought it back. I am not sure if he got it wartime, or maybe went back well after the war?

In web searching, I have found it difficult to get comfortable on being able to tell wartime versus postwar souvenir. If someone knows a definitive site that lists that, please link it.

Yours, having a tie to who brought it back, is really cool since it sounds as if you can prove the connection? Thanks for posting it.

I can provide you with some tips on telling wartime vs post war. Feel free to PM me.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Very neat! I like the star. I've never had to learn the nuances of post war vs war time as I have only found post war.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here's a thousand pictures!

"I read that in war bad things happen, Ain't that the ************* truth" -1st Lt Mike Scotti