This is an interesting item.Statue for Det.A (Detacment A) Special Forces in Germany.

Doing some basic searches I found that Det A was a highly secret and little know unit even with in Special Forces.The project lasted from 1956 to 1984.Some members of the unit were also part of Operation Eagle Claw(Iran Hostage Rescue Mission).

Det A has a very diverse back round and highly classified mission in the cold war.I will attach the link for those interested in reading more.Appears there were less than 100 individuals in Det A during its activities and was considered a prime assignment with in the community.

http://www.detachment-a.org/

http://www.detachment-a.org/detachment-a-clandestine-special-forces-missions-from-berlin-to-iran/

Here is the statue for a former Det A member.

post-342-0-96372300-1549664213_thumb.jpg

This Cloak and Dagger or Spy Guy statue is hard to find. They use to sell them at the MI store in Sierra Vista, AZ. During my last visit to the MI store, the sales person indicated that the person who had the rights to the statue was no longer making the statue (reasons unknown). I knew a former Counter Intel guy who had one on his desk.

Nice statue Doyler.

This Cloak and Dagger or Spy Guy statue is hard to find. They use to sell them at the MI store in Sierra Vista, AZ. During my last visit to the MI store, the sales person indicated that the person who had the rights to the statue was no longer making the statue (reasons unknown). I knew a former Counter Intel guy who had one on his desk.

Nice statue Doyler.

Thanks Wahooman.

Hadnt heard of the MI shop in Sierra Vista.

This one I believe was made or carved in Germany and given o the unit member there.Has the Det a plaque on front.Have a couple things from the individual.Just trying to tie it together.

The Military Intelligence (MI) Store in Sierra Vista, AZ sells military surplus/military items. Sierra Vista is the home of Ft. Huachuca and the US Army Military Intelligence School.

When I was in Berlin these guys were out of Roosevelt Barracks,, always doing some type of clandestine training or mission..

I recall one of the nicknames used was "long hair detachment" or something like that since they blended into the German population...

But of course they "weren't there"...

Leigh

When I was in Berlin these guys were out of Roosevelt Barracks,, always doing some type of clandestine training or mission..

I recall one of the nicknames used was "long hair detachment" or something like that since they blended into the German population...

But of course they "weren't there"...

Leigh

lol... Thanks Leigh.

Reading about them it seems they were pretty "flexible" in the regulation department.

I really liked reading about them and this section made me laugh... “Wait a minute, Kunert? You were not even in the American Army in 1944!”

Here is the section from Det A article:

“It is the anniversary of the D-day landing,” the Sergeant Major told the Green Berets. “Who here participated in D-Day and would like to go to the reunion in France?”

A surprising number of men in the hallway had served in Special Forces units in Vietnam such as MACV-SOG and Project Sigma, but a handful of men there that day had in fact participated in D-Day. There were some Johns, Dicks, or Harrys, that raised their hands. The Sergeant Major doing roll call then got to the last soldier raising his hand and began to write down the name Gerhard Kunert. His pencil suddenly stopped scrawling across the clipboard.

“Wait a minute, Kunert? You were not even in the American Army in 1944!”

Kunert, a member of team six, clicked his heels and replied, “I was in the 7th Panzer, I was in Normandy, and I want to go to the reunion!” Kunert was not alone, also on his team was a German who served on U-boats during the war.

The unit was commanded by Sid Shachnow at one point, a Jewish holocaust survivor who immigrated to America

Ron, really cool item, similar to Spy V Spy of Mad magazine. Read Det.10 guys carried P-38s, interesting group.

Thanks David...yes that's what I understand.THey trained on a lot of the eastern bloc stuff as well.One of the primariy missions I understand waa to be a "stay behind" force to disrupt the Russian and East Germans if the invasion occurred.To organize resistance and conduct sabotage etc.I get the idea many knew it was not a mission they would return from

Yes, tough guys, very tough. Forget where I read about them, read so much one gets CRS. LOL Really bad when your books are packed up.......

Nice statue Doyler.

The MICA (Military Intelligence Corp Assoc.) store sells a 9" black carved acrylic statue of the spook for $29.00 +shipping. Many nice items on the site.

Jumpin Jack needs one!

• 1 month later...

thanks for postinr, ron. several years I had one similar tho quite curvy, no ID plaque or other markings and made from heavy black polished stone (basalt?) and stood about 2 feet tall.

THanks Long Horn

Recently had the honor and pleasure of being contacted by a forum member who served with this vet,Both were in Det A but on separate teams.Gave me some insights to the workings and of Det A and also how some of the unit level awards were given.