Curious Vietnam Veteran Special Forces Astronaut insignia grouping

Pluto

thanks for the rolling insights everyone .. Aznation - fascinating to see that Leonardo NASA patch.. just adds more intrigue ..

the name on the leather plate is definitely 'K. C. Matyi'.. our Spec 4 from 1962-65..

as for the medal ribbons - not sure if the NG ones you were thinking of were the third row, but the second and the third on the third row are lesser-seen Vietnam - RVN Civil Actions Medal, and the RVN Special Service Medal. The 4th row of ribbons, campaign ribbons, these are all loose and not fixed to the block of 3 rows.

Can the DUI tell us anything ? '1st SOMCOM'(Trojan Horse) , 'Special Warfare Centre', and then 'Space Command' ? I'm not entirely sure what the roles of these groups were..

By rights this group should all date to the 80s, as suggested by the black backing to the 5th SF beret shield.

P

Here is an interesting link:

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/behindscenes/spacesuitdemo.html

I think your guy may have been involved in testing the personal parachute systems used on the space shuttle. That patch might be a home run...I would post it on one of the space collector forum. They will probably know for sure

The three " foreign" badges are South Vietnamese Parachutist badge, Ranger badge, and I believe SF badge. All consistent with his US SF and Master Jump badges. Quite an interesting and accomplished display. Notice also his leather name / Qual badge has Army aviator wings. The grouping starting to make perfect sense, the NASA patch most likely from later civilian service?

I have been following this fascinating thread. From personal experience, I would like to throw in an off the wall possibility. A decade ago I did some DOS advisor work in SA. I saw a lot of really weird stuff working hand in hand with DIA, CIA, NSA, and a whole other bunch of three letter agencies that I never heard of. That said, I know some operatives ( not DOD) did in fact wear military uniforms with fictitious names, ranks,rating badges so as to not blow an operation or draw attention to themselves, and vice versa. My initial guess on this man is he was involved in covert and sensitive operations not related to DOD, but perhaps DOS, CIA, NSA, NAS,etc, None of which will ever come to light with any search, but only by word of mouth from perhaps a fellow spook or co worker who was there on those specific operations.

Fake names and rank, Yes. But decked out like a North Korean General, no. Last thing is to draw attention and to stand out like a peacock. So I doubt it was worn operational. The one SF badge was a prototype and never adoped. My thought is a group of accumulated insigina .Maybe he could have been a collector of career related insignia.

I agree with Pluto's assessment that there is a lot of stuff for someone who was only in for 3 years. the 2nd award CIB wouldn't be right and for master Parachute wings, that's a long process and "to have served in jump status with an airborne unit or other organization authorized parachutists for a total of at least 36 months." Could just be a collection of stuff he had. I agree he could have worked with NASA to get the patch. Interesting collection and, as you said, a cerebral exercise.