Cut out collar disks

denfly

These particular collar disks with the "cutout" design, were they used by enlisted or officers? What was the difference between this type used and the full style collar disks for a soldier?

post-126332-0-98464700-1549644532.jpg

Here is one I have for the Quartermaster Corps. My understanding is these were worn by transitioning Air Force personnel around 1947 when they separated from the Army. I've only seen two of these so I believe they are rare.

post-153340-0-41044800-1549646160.jpg

These particular collar disks with the "cutout" design, were they used by enlisted or officers? What was the difference between this type used and the full style collar disks for a soldier?

I knew a WW2 vet who was an officer at a transition point for outgoing personnel at the end of the war and he wore these as branch insignia. I have his dress uniform stored away. When I asked him about them, he described them as "Army of the United States insignia".

PacificGunner

Here is one I have for the Quartermaster Corps. My understanding is these were worn by transitioning Air Force personnel around 1947 when they separated from the Army. I've only seen two of these so I believe they are rare.

attachicon.gifQM Cutout.jpg

I agree that they were worn my transitioning Air Force personnel when they separated from the Army. I have seen the enlisted man visor hats from the transitional period that have the cut out cap badge that looks like this. I'm not sure how rare the hats are compared to the discs, but I have only seen one OD Green enlisted man's visor with the cutout cap badge.

I agree that they were worn my transitioning Air Force personnel when they separated from the Army. I have seen the enlisted man visor hats from the transitional period that have the cut out cap badge that looks like this. I'm not sure how rare the hats are compared to the discs, but I have only seen one OD Green enlisted man's visor with the cutout cap badge

The hats were only worn from about 1947 to 1951 until the blue ones were available so they are fairly scarce. I have one that I am confident is all original, a summer weight one named to a WW2 vet with a WW2 ASN with AF added to it and an address on an Air Force Base.

Check out and go though this huge topic, maybe a few photos of AF EMs wearing the cut out cap devices in transitional period, and ones members posted of ones they have, like this one.

post-4106-1222894326.jpgpost-4106-1222894335.jpg

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5846-post-wwii-50s-60s-us-air-force-uniform-photos/page-36&do=findComment&comment=2591328

attachicon.gifQM Cutout.jpg

interesting that they might of had branch specific EM collar dics in this period, as the common ones were the cut out Wing and Prop with it's matching U.S. disc.

post-84-1180484064.jpg

The people that sold the insignia to you in the first place gave you the correct identification. US Army Branch Unassigned Officer Collar Insignia.

https://antiquerecon.com/products/ww-ii-us-army-branch-unassigned-officer-collar-insignia

I had a set of these on a blouse worn by one of the attorneys at the Nuremburg Trials. It isn't encountered that often.

This is NOT post WWII USAF transition insignia. You can find illustrations of the insignia in WWII editions of the Army Officers' Guide.

Allan

Agree with Allan.

I have a set or two in an officers clothing group.Not sure how it all ties in.He was enlisted AF in the post WW2 era.Then Army National Guard and retired as a Major who commanded a local unit.He had several branch insignias to included the unassigned and transportation

VolunteerArmoury

I’ve a couple that of cut outs that are Infantry crossed rifles. One is on what’s left of its card along with a U.S.. Would love to know more about them.

PacificGunner

The hats were only worn from about 1947 to 1951 until the blue ones were available so they are fairly scarce. I have one that I am confident is all original, a summer weight one named to a WW2 vet with a WW2 ASN with AF added to it and an address on an Air Force Base.

Thanks for the info on the hats Matt, do you have any idea what the value of the transitional hats with the cut out hat badges would be? Both OD green and summer weight?

Female Drill Instructors still wear the pierced cap device, so just because you come across one, that doesnt mean that it is a USAF transitional piece.

Allan

It is my understanding the standard Army female cap device has dual clutch backs (pins top and bottom) whereas the transitional has a center screw-post and nut? Or is that an old collector's rumor?

I know that when I was assigned to the AIT Companies at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in the late 80's, that there were some screw back female cap devices in supply. I can't tell you when they were manufactured, but it struck me that they looked just like the USAF transitional cap devices.

I don't know what to say on the other branches represented with the cut out brass. I've only ever encountered the US and the winged prop devices.

Allan

Interesting. We had a female DI in basic but I never removed her cap device to see if it was a screwback or not! It could be that the ones used by female DIs were leftover transitional pieces that were repurposed, I don't know.

The one on the cap I posted above is the only one I have that I am confident is a correct transitional piece. The name in the cap is of a WW2 vet (per NARA) using his WW2 ASN with an "AF" prefix with an address on an Air Force Base and not an Army Airfield. It has been on the cap for a long time.

post-32676-0-16426800-1549899791.jpg