Hitchhiker horror stories

JesseJames

When I buy a wool blanket on Ebay, my biggest concern is that the buyer will unknowingly ship it to me with bed bugs or some other terrible bug infestation. You only need a single breeding pair to overwhelm your house in not a lot of time. I was thinking that in the future, I will start plastic bagging/ vacuum sealing cloth items when I receive them and put them straight into the freezer for a period of time. Does anyone know if low temps could kill moth or bed bug eggs? Also, does anyone have any horror stories of this happening to them? Please share.

Once upon a time I was at a gunshow looking at a nice M41 jacket. I checked the pockets for holes, reached into one and found a used syringe (thankfully capped).

That said, I have to go near bed bug infested homes for work at times. I have read that both high and low temps can kill them. IIRC a half hour in normal freezer temps should do the trick.

I bought a WW2 service coat off eBay and when the package arrived I picked it up went to where I displayed my collection opened up the package and the coat had been shipped in a plastic grocery bag, well I unraveled the back and out crawled a stink bug. Imagine my face seeing that thing in the same room as my collection! Let's just say I had to be extremely careful removing that thing. I'm still really jumpy about opening up new packages now!

Hunt

Once upon a time I was at a gunshow looking at a nice M41 jacket. I checked the pockets for holes, reached into one and found a used syringe (thankfully capped).

jesus!

I bought an ike jacket from an antique store and on the way home at a red light I stopped to admire my new purchase, a stink bug fell out of the sleeve and to my amazement when I pulled over for gas four more fell out. I took the jacket outside my truck turned it inside out and shook out probably a dozen more stink bugs

Last year picked up a M39 US 4 pocket jacket that had a fabulous CBI patch, was completely moth eaten, even the “ Ruptured Duck” was eaten to threads. Went straight into garbage bag, into freezer for 2 weeks before removing the patch. Will remove buttons and belt loops, then can it. Just happy bugs dont like to eat Bullion, lol.

I bought an ike jacket from an antique store and on the way home at a red light I stopped to admire my new purchase, a stink bug fell out of the sleeve and to my amazement when I pulled over for gas four more fell out. I took the jacket outside my truck turned it inside out and shook out probably a dozen more stink bugs

I don't think stinkbugs are a big issue here in california, but what do I know. They probably are considering the mild climate, and the many travelers entering every day from stink bug plagued countries. Keeping eyes open.

Last year picked up a M39 US 4 pocket jacket that had a fabulous CBI patch, was completely moth eaten, even the “ Ruptured Duck” was eaten to threads. Went straight into garbage bag, into freezer for 2 weeks before removing the patch. Will remove buttons and belt loops, then can it. Just happy bugs dont like to eat Bullion, lol.

That's a bummer. I can't imagine having something for decades just to have it destroyed by moths in a matter of weeks. Ive started storing everything that I care about in cedar chests, and a couple lockable trunks. I highly recommend an electric flyswatter for evasive, stubborn, fluttering moths. Makes short work.

The M39 came out of a small gun/ militaria shop. I have No Idea where it came from before buying it, obviously it was just” hung in a closet” for unknown years. Bought it Just for the patch. Ones I owned in the last 30+ years have been carefully stored, moth balls or flakes, some in vacuum sealed bags. Silverfish are another problem you might bring home, thus the 2 weeks in a freezer.

The M39 came out of a small gun/ militria shop. I have No Idea where it came from before buying it, obviously it was just” hung in a closet” for unknown years. Bought it Just for the patch. Ones I owned in the last 30+ years have been carefully stored, moth balls or flakes, some in vacuum sealed bags. Silverfish are another problem you might bring home, thus the 2 weeks in a freezer.

As long as I can remember, I've seen silverfish in every apartment building I've lived/been in. Never roaches, so I guess that's a plus. Maybe they're just "established" here in the bay area. They don't eat clothes right?

Back.post-6975-0-23056100-1549670999_thumb.jpeg

Drop a couple behind books on shelf, same in bottom of box if storing. One in bottom of footlocker or plastic storage tub works too.

HeritageMilitariaOrlando

To my knowledge cold temperatures do not kill moths and larva that is a myth

It has to be well below freezing in order to kill them. The things can literally survive off dust!

Guess there are “ Rambo” moths. Direct sunlight is another good way to kill them off, then directly in a freezer well below “0”. The sudden change in temps usually does them in. For over 30 years I stored all my WWI wool anything in plastic tubs or footlockers with a few cups of moth balls, no problems. Pretty funny, friend would come over, go out to shop, open tubs or footlockers to look at some WWI stuff, come back in the house, ex would want to throw us out from the smell, lol.

• 4 weeks later...
illinigander

When I volunteered at the Detroit Historical Museum, all clothing and organic matter spent a month in the deep freeze before being processed to the collection.

Illinigander