Army ROTC Wings

LtDan

Hello,

I have a question regarding these Army ROTC wings. I have seldom seen similar wings listed for sale. I checked the threads on this forum and found only a few wings such as this one. A google search for "ROTC wings" produces a "V-shaped" wing for Air Force ROTC. I don't know if that same "V-shaped" wing is used for Army ROTC........or if flight training is even still offered in Army ROTC. .

I have had these since I was in Army ROTC around 1969-70. Just wondering what information may be available from Forum members regarding this badge, and if anyone knows when (or if) it ceased being used.

Thanks.

post-172726-0-00873000-1549569323_thumb.jpg

post-172726-0-49243800-1549569343.jpg

This is an older Army ROTC award and it exists as a half wing as well. I believe that I was once told that it was an academic excellence award and not a flight training badge. I once had the half wing example that was pin back and sterling marked.

Allan

This is an older Army ROTC award and it exists as a half wing as well. I believe that I was once told that it was an academic excellence award and not a flight training badge. I once had the half wing example that was pin back and sterling marked.

Allan

I attended a 4-year military school (1967-70) and the wings were awarded to cadets after their solo flight. At that time the Army paid for approximately 30 hours of flight time for cadets who were on contract to attend the Army's flight school after commissioning. I don't recall the half-wing being used at our school.....but I believe it may have been used in some locations for cadets in the flight program who had not yet soloed.

I appreciate the other comments as well. Apparently this style wing was not in use after the 1990s (or perhaps not after the 1970s).

There should be quite a few of them out there......

Thanks,

Dan

Dan,

Thanks for adding the information. I obviously didn't get good info. Here is a link to a thread showing both the full wing and the half wing.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/56580-rotc-wings/?hl=%2Brotc+%2Bhalf+%2Bwing

Allan

Allan,

Thank you for that link. I recently saw a half wing for sale on Ebay.

Thanks,

Dan

• 1 month later...

I located a pamphlet regarding Army ROTC Flight Training that will provide some information on ROTC wings . The pamphlet was produced by the US Government Printing Office, May 1966.....and is shown in the four images below.

The last page shows both the half-wing & full-wing badges along with this explanation:

"Special recognition is given to students in the Flight Instruction Program. The trainee is authorized to wear the half-wing badge from the date of enrollment until completion of his flight instruction. The student who successfully completes the program is authorized to wear the full-wing badge of the ROTC aviator".

I am still trying to determine when these wings ceased to be used.

post-172726-0-22153900-1552443582.jpg

post-172726-0-15198800-1552443594.jpg

post-172726-0-38117600-1552443610.jpg

post-172726-0-86807300-1552443624.jpg

This has been a very interesting thread, as I am currently in an Army ROTC program. I found this lot listed on eBay that has both the half-wing as well as the full-wing badges. The full-size is marked "Fischer Sterling" and the half-wing is marked "Hayward Sterling".

-McDermut

Item #223449491065

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31-WWII-USAAC-USAF-USA-ROTC-Composite-Insignia-grouping/223449491065?hash=item3406a0a679:g:ZHQAAOSwxu5ZJYmP

"This grouping, I believe, is a composite of WWII and later items and may also be a mixture of USAAC, USAF and US Army items. This is the way I obtained it. Included are WWII and later ribbons, a USAF ROTC hat badge, an Army? ROTC Hat badge, a half wing and a full size wing as well as a proficiency/honor badge."

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg