What kind of a tool is this?

Brian Keith

I got a couple of these from a flea market vendor who salvaged a few from a crate found in a ware house just before it was torn down. If I recall correctly it was found in Cincinnati, OH.

I have never found out what it is or used for. It is about 24 inches long, the handle is about the thickness of a hammer handle. The edge is not sharp like a hatchet, but somewhat blunt. It appears to be WW II vintage. My guess it is some type of special tool as part of a vehicles on board equipment. Possibly a DUCK or something.

Any body knows what it is or even who made it? It is marked with the initinals "US&W"

post-1549-1229529289.jpg

post-1549-1229529326.jpg

BKW

Check out this oddball wild shot...

Link:

http://74.6.239.67/search/cache?ei=UTF-8&a...=1&.intl=us

I checked into US&W because that series of letter and the "look" of it made me start thinking it is a railroad tool of some kind.

Probably no help at all, but, who knows...

Interesting looking thing though. Never seen anything like it before, anywhere.

Bluehawk,

I'll just give the Ranganadi Hydro Electric Plant a call and ask if they are missing any tools!

I didn't even think about doing a computer search on the letters. I guess it is one of those DUH! moments. Thanks for doing the legwork (keyboardwork?) even if it doesn’t really ID the tool, it tells me the company probably doesn’t exist anymore.

It is very possible it is not a military item. It is not "US" marked like most military contract items are.

If it isn't military I guess I waisted my $2 each. Bummer.

Maybe the US&W means, Union Switch and Widget Company.

I enjoyed reading your response to the question about the Jewish theme sculpture in an other thread. I noticed you said you were an Art museum director for many years. I am a technician in a small Indiana Art museum.

BKW

Bluehawk,

I'll just give the Ranganadi Hydro Electric Plant a call and ask if they are missing any tools!

I didn't even think about doing a computer search on the letters. I guess it is one of those DUH! moments. Thanks for doing the legwork (keyboardwork?) even if it doesn’t really ID the tool, it tells me the company probably doesn’t exist anymore.

It is very possible it is not a military item. It is not "US" marked like most military contract items are.

If it isn't military I guess I waisted my $2 each. Bummer.

Maybe the US&W means, Union Switch and Widget Company.

I enjoyed reading your response to the question about the Jewish theme sculpture in an other thread. I noticed you said you were an Art museum director for many years. I am a technician in a small Indiana Art museum.

BKW

I hope your museum is not in Lafayette! :D

The look of that tool is that it's some kind of a wedge, something you would put up against wood or a metal joint and give it a whack on that curved side, to separate something, and then maybe hook it to pull it apart, repeatedly.

I don't think it could be a pry bar of any kind, strictly speaking, because it wouldn't tale a lot of pressure to break the handle off where it joins the end piece. Pry bars are usually solid metal for that reason.

Anyhow, I blame the USAF for getting me obsessed with tools.

Thanks for your kind words about the jewish sculpture thread.

craig_pickrall

Bluehawk,

I clicked on your link to see the site and got a security warning from comcast. I did not override it to go to the site. What is that link to?

I hope your museum is not in Lafayette! :D

The look of that tool is that it's some kind of a wedge, something you would put up against wood or a metal joint and give it a whack on that curved side, to separate something, and then maybe hook it to pull it apart, repeatedly.

I don't think it could be a pry bar of any kind, strictly speaking, because it wouldn't tale a lot of pressure to break the handle off where it joins the end piece. Pry bars are usually solid metal for that reason.

Anyhow, I blame the USAF for getting me obsessed with tools.

Thanks for your kind words about the jewish sculpture thread.

Not lafayette, Ft. Wayne.

Craig, the link was to page from an Indian (as in the country of India) Hydroelectric plant about some type of maintaince issue and the letters US&W show up.

BKW

Bluehawk,

I clicked on your link to see the site and got a security warning from comcast. I did not override it to go to the site. What is that link to?

Craig, here is a cut & paste of the total exact content:

-----------------------------------

NORTH EASTERN ELECTRIC POWER CORPORATION LIMITED (A GOVT. OF INDIA ENTERPRISE) O/O SR. MANAGER (E/M) : US&W, Ranganadi Hydro Electric Plant P.O. – Ranganadi Project , Lower Subansiri Dist. Arunachal Pradesh – 791 119 ISO 9001, 14001, OHSAS 18001 Ph. No. 03809-222266 (O), 222281 FAX NO.03809-222212 /222242 Time Extension Notice No - 2

Ref: - NIQ – RHEP/US&W - 09 Dated 12/05/08.

Due to force majeure (Flash Flood), Quotation opening time against the NIQ – RHEP/US&W - 09 dated 12/05/08 for procurement of

“Presto make Casing & Caping, Boxes and their accessories” is hereby further extended as below. Earlier the opening time was extended upto 16/06/08 vide

time extension notice no – 1. Those, who have already submitted the offer against

our above NIQ, are not need to re-submit again.

Acceptance of Quotation Paper at : - Upto 07/07/08 NLP NEEPCO transit camp & 43 Km Yazali

Opening of Tender at : - 15:00 Hrs of 09/07/08 43 KM: RHEP; Yazali

The other terms & conditions of the original tender will remain same.

Address for NEEPCO Transit Camp Senior Manager (E)

NEEPCO Transit Camp

Above Oriental Insurance Office

T. H. Road; North Lakhimpur (Assam) Pin - 787001

----------------------------------------------

No idea why you would have gotten a security warning. It was a cached html from a pdf... I hate opening pdf files if it can be avoided.