Captured North Korean hats and shoulderboards

jlhworks

These were brought back by a 1st Cav vet in 1951, all taken from "decommissioned" North Korean soldiers, as he called them.

Hope you enjoy these uncommon items.

post-160076-0-61809900-1549505892_thumb.jpg

post-160076-0-59286600-1549505904_thumb.jpg

USCapturephotos

Wow definitely something you dont see everyday. At least I havent. Id be curious as to what North Korean souvenirs are worth. Thanks for showing the forum.

Paul

Captainofthe7th

Beautiful items and well documented with the provenance you have. Regarding rarity and worth, I just wrote an article for my website on bringbacks and could find little to no information on this other than many statements of these and related items being rare. If my assumptions are of any value, feel free to take a read:

https://www.rcmcollection.com/featured-bringbacks

Thanks for sharing these. Are the shoulder boards faded? Do you think this is due to time or use?

Rob

Beautiful items and well documented with the provenance you have. Regarding rarity and worth, I just wrote an article for my website on bringbacks and could find little to no information on this other than many statements of these and related items being rare. If my assumptions are of any value, feel free to take a read:

Thanks for sharing these. Are the shoulder boards faded? Do you think this is due to time or use?

Rob

Wow, great article and thank you for sharing to both you and the OP!

Korean War bring backs are very interesting because, as you state in the article, they are just so uncommon relative to WWII and Vietnam. Finding rifles with legit capture papers to Korea is quite difficult.

Great stuff in this thread!

Absolutely awesome items! Thanks for sharing. I tried to collect KW bringbacks but the scarcity was daunting. Too bad about the weapons that were sold; hopefully one day they will all be reunited.

Thanks for all the comments!

I have some more Korean War bringbacks I will have to post in the future. They are my main interest in collecting.

Rob

Great article! I enjoy your website, we've spoken before. I had the officer tunic captured by Lamb.

I'm still interested in using photos of your tunic and hat in my upcoming book.

I am not sure if the shoulderboards are faded, I'll have to check when I dig them out again.

Thank you for sharing these unusual items. Please consider also posting these on our sister website, the World Militaria Forum http://www.worldmilitariaforum.com/forums/

As with this one, you do have to register again, but it is free and run by the same people you see here.

I'm a member and will have some things to post there in the upcoming months.

I posted a few Korean War Chinese items there but the pics were not great quality.

Really interesting to see these bringbacks. I can’t think if I’ve ever seen any Korean War trophies.

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

If anyone has any Korean War captured items, please PM me as I am writing a book on them and am looking for more items to photograph and include in it.

• 1 month later...
Skysoldier80

Thanks for sharing these items. I find the North Korean items of particular interests and hardly ever see anything in people's collections. My Grandfather served in both WWII and Korea and he brought stuff back from WWII, but nothing from Korea.

Eventually, I would like to get one nice DPRK item in my collection to put with my Grandfather's display.

• 4 weeks later...
russ santangelo

I've been collecting/scrounging for over 60 years and never saw any North Korean bring backs. Most of the men I talked to that were there during the Korean War said they never thought to bring anything back or that there wasn't anything to bring back. I imagine there must still be Chinese stuff floating around there from that period, so it would be pretty hard to authenticate anything unless it was obtained from a vet.