Distinguished Service Cross for North Russia

Dave

Dave,

<yawn>, just another DSC group to add to your pile of average "army-stuff."

Obviously, your character combined with the way that you uncover, preserve and care for history contributes to the trust that you build with families and veterans who want these stories to be told and re-told in perpetuity. This family found the right person to do just that. Congrats on receiving such an honor!

Thanks again, all!

As I have time, I'm poking around on the Internet, finding more info for the group. Here's an excerpt from the book The History of the American Expedition Fighting the Bolsheviki: Campaigning in North Russia 1918-1919 by Joel Roscoe Moore (full text available online). Pvt Bell is noted half-way through the second paragraph:

kjhjhb.jpg

Great pair of medals from one of the most interesting periods of the First World War era. I believe that his WW1 medal would have only the Defensive Sector bar. Here is my Russia group with the paperwork for the WW1 Victory medal showing the award of the defensive Sector bar.

Dick

post-9487-0-02707300-1549573737_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-50883900-1549573769_thumb.jpg

Kurt Barickman

A DSC to a veteran of the Russian campaign, how rare is that? Wow, didn´t even know that level of valor medals were awarded for the Russian Intervention and I teach this stuff//!! Congrats, Dave as that is such a narrow and often overlooked campaign from the immediate post-WWI period. Savor that one.

Kurt

Brian Dentino

Would say that this one falls in the "Rare as hen's teeth!" category!". One heck of a pick up, Dave. It appears that there were only 62 DSC's awarded for the Russian involvement! Talk about uber-rare!

• 3 weeks later...

Got a few more items from the family. Here's a better scan of the photo with Bell wearing his medals:

bell_medals_sm1.jpg

Here's an odd one...the family believes this is him, but it doesn't look like him? It was taken in London, UK, and it is very nicely done. But the uniform is definitely odd. Quite a strange photo...

bell_portrait_sm.jpg

Here's an odd one...the family believes this is him, but it doesn't look like him? It was taken in London, UK, and it is very nicely done. But the uniform is definitely odd. Quite a strange photo...

Looks like an Engineer castle on the other side. Probably not him. His ears also dont stick out far enough.

Kurt

Pretty amazing set of coincidences for this wonderful group to turn up when it did. If you missed it, this was the cover of the SOS book this year:

SOS_COVER_2019_sm_prev5.jpg

SOS_about_the_cover_2019x.jpg

David,

Been away for a while and come back to all of these wonderful postings.

This is indeed a spectaculr and rare group related to a "campaign" that most do not know about.

Hope all is well in the USN!

Gary B

• 5 weeks later...