101st Airborne type 7 black back with several differences

razorback

Hello guys !

I have this 101st Airborne type 7 black back patch ( no reason to believe it's a fake because I bought it from a reputable american seller) but I have noticed some differences between mine and others type 7 I've seen on the web ( even the one on Mark Bando's website)

1/ Even if residue doesn't help, it seems to have much less black threads on the back ( eagle's head and tab) than on others black back

2/ There's a big space between the " E" and the border of the tab, so " AIRBORNE" is not really centered

3/ The eagle's beak crimp is much less pronounced on mine than on others type 7 I've seen

What's your opinion ? Factory error ?? Détails varying from a patch to another ??

post-212424-0-09367100-1549440565.jpg

post-212424-0-79363100-1549440575.jpg

It is not a fake. It is a 1950's era type 10. The matching twill backing and the black return threads are dead giveaways to the era.

-Ski

I'm with Teamski. The second I saw it, I said to myself, "that's not a Type 7, it's a type 10." It is as he has described.

Allan

Thanks for the reply Teamski and Allan....that would mean that it is not a WW2 type 7 ( as I bought it for).....I'm learning the hard way...I guess it's the same for all beginners !

Hi Razorback,

I disagree with Allan and Ski - It's a black back Type 7 - If you compare it to a Type 10 the differences are easily seen.

Matt

Thanks for giving your opinion Matt ! I've not became an expert in 2 days, but I came across an old topic here, and this type 7 greenback looks pretty similar to my blackback patch...the photo is bigger in the original topic, but I can't post the link to it.

post-212424-0-08804800-1549546262.png

WOW,this is really confusing. I do not see the clear differences you say are apparent in the eyes. Are there other or better ways to distinguish the types for the collector of these variations.