WW2 bringbacks - nice small little grouping

Leatherwringer

Leatherwringer

I just recently got this grouping and was hoping a member could tell me more about the skull and crossbones. It is a heavy cast piece!

I am trying to find out more about the man who served and brought these items back.

Thanks for any help,

Andy

post-13664-0-24261500-1549418632_thumb.jpg

post-13664-0-50194600-1549418868_thumb.jpg

Leatherwringer

Thanks for the quick replies....definitely gives me a direction to go with! the detective work is most of the fun for me!

Will be difficult to definitively tie the item to nazi Germany....Skull and crossbones have gone back for centuries in German history....It's not a sanctioned item or would be marked accordingly...Might not even be military related, but commercially linked...Has hole in the center so was likely screwed down to something....Bodes

Leatherwringer

Will be difficult to definitively tie the item to nazi Germany....Skull and crossbones have gone back for centuries in German history....It's not a sanctioned item or would be marked accordingly...Might not even be military related, but commercially linked...Has hole in the center so was likely screwed down to something....Bodes

Yes, I think you are right. It is a cool piece with some nice patina...and as always, buy the item not the story!

• 2 weeks later...

I think the skull badge may be imperial, either unofficial to go on a tunic sleeve or to designate service as a former member of the Deaths-Head (mounted) Hussars. also might be for one of the many paramilitary ex-soldiers' groups from the early 1920s. or as stated, non-german (brit?), tho I sort of doubt that but can't say why!