Need ID on this airbase unit

Bill Scott

Does anyone know the ID on this one.Thanks for your help and your time.Scotty

483914-020419.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Info from a web search:

WWII English Made 8th Air Force Chemical Squadron Flight Jacket Patch
Here is a rare English made, but never issued patch for a Chemical Squadron of the 8th Air Force. Fully embroidered with wool and silk thread and measures 5" in diameter with black paper backing. The star represents the Air Force in white on a dark blue backing with a crowned deer in the centre, which represents the near by Royal Park of Sandringham. Surrounded by branch of service insignia for Communications, Chemical, Artillery, Air Force and an un-identified branch with a red scroll to the bottom of the patch.
Attributed to the 446th Bomb Group based at Bungay with Detachment A 885th Chemical Warfare and Ordnance Depot at Barnham near to Liberators on the airfield. Mystery surrounds the covert nature of group and the patch made but never issued. It is thought that 'if' the D day invasion failed chemical weapons might be deployed as a plan 'B' ? The 446BG were part of Third Air Division commanded by Brigadier General Curtiss Le May, (Later to command 20th Air Force which attacked Japan) his HQ was based at Elvedon Hall.
I have a small number made by a tailor shop in Norwich, which closed in the 1960's.
I would also like to thank my customer and good friend of 25+ years Allan Hutchings for identifying the patch, the story behind it's existence and supplying various pages of local research and comment about the patch. Copies will be sent with any patch sold.

Website also has front and back photo (thumbnail attached below) : https://www.bobsimsmilitaria.com/shop.php?ps=1&pg=79#prettyPhoto

53192t.jpg

Got one years ago from Mr. Kling and neither one of us knew what it was! Good to know the id on it and another reason to be on here and an ASMIC member.

Now there is a mystery solved I have been trying to ID this for three years.Thank you Salvage Sailor for you ID and your time.Scotty

Info from a web search:

WWII English Made 8th Air Force Chemical Squadron Flight Jacket Patch
Here is a rare English made, but never issued patch for a Chemical Squadron of the 8th Air Force. Fully embroidered with wool and silk thread and measures 5" in diameter with black paper backing. The star represents the Air Force in white on a dark blue backing with a crowned deer in the centre, which represents the near by Royal Park of Sandringham. Surrounded by branch of service insignia for Communications, Chemical, Artillery, Air Force and an un-identified branch with a red scroll to the bottom of the patch.
Attributed to the 446th Bomb Group based at Bungay with Detachment A 885th Chemical Warfare and Ordnance Depot at Barnham near to Liberators on the airfield. Mystery surrounds the covert nature of group and the patch made but never issued. It is thought that 'if' the D day invasion failed chemical weapons might be deployed as a plan 'B' ? The 446BG were part of Third Air Division commanded by Brigadier General Curtiss Le May, (Later to command 20th Air Force which attacked Japan) his HQ was based at Elvedon Hall.
I have a small number made by a tailor shop in Norwich, which closed in the 1960's.
I would also like to thank my customer and good friend of 25+ years Allan Hutchings for identifying the patch, the story behind it's existence and supplying various pages of local research and comment about the patch. Copies will be sent with any patch sold.

Website also has front and back photo (thumbnail attached below) : https://www.bobsimsmilitaria.com/shop.php?ps=1&pg=79#prettyPhoto

I have one of these patches as well.

As I interpret what the Bob Sims web site relays, his friend and customer Allan Hitchings identified the patch and the symbolism of the design.

An Air Operations detachment of the 885th Chemical Company, US Army, was based at RAF Hardwick, HQ of 446th BG, 8th AAF. In the 446th official published history it refers to "Det. 'A' 885th Chemical Company" as one of its subordinate units and it is listed in the Group's monument there. This dovetails with Mr. Hutching's account, so I am assuming we identify this patch as 885th Chemical Warefare and Ordnance Depot, 446th Bomb Group, 8th AAF.

That said, some years ago this patch was identified as 301st Air Service Sub Depot, 93rd Bomb Group 8th AAF. See here, at Post #12, which states it is sourced only by the attached image.

Incidentally, the 93rd also was based at RAF Hardwick.

This is great! I've been wondering for years about this patch. I was the one who had the image that had identified it as the 301st Air Service Sub Depot.

Steve

Johnny Signor

Well here's another one to throw in the monkey wrench on the "ID" I ahev this about it not sure if ID' is correct , but there goes, Detchment A,885th Chemical Company, note the emblem at very bottom of image …….

post-2068-0-68649700-1549605781.jpg

I believe the patch is related to the 2nd Strategic Air Depot based in Abbots Ripton. The airfield had a long association with the 92nd, 93rd and 482nd BGs.

The * Signals, Ordnance, Chemical, Winged Propeller * insignias on the badge suggest it was a Maintenance, Repair & Refittment Squadron. Perhaps a Ordnance Supply & Maintenance Company.

CDub

• 3 years later...
General Apathy
On 2/4/2019 at 9:41 PM, Bill Scott said:

Does anyone know the ID on this one.Thanks for your help and your time.Scotty

483914-020419.jpg

Well what a surprise to come back to the forum to find this post Bill Scott started . . . . . . .

Looking through some boxes today for something else I finally found these two patches which I hadn't seen in thirty years and believed I had lost them, ( three house moves later they finally appear )

Back in 1972 in the back streets of a UK industrial town  I purchased these two patches and the M3 knife and the ' 504th ' named M6 scabbard for £10, ( how did I do ) . . . . . . . . . . . . 

For many years I tried to find an i.d. for the patch design, the only details I ever found was an article in either the UK Times or Observer on the fiftieth anniversary of D-Day, the article which I now have to find ( I swear I saved it, I did I know 🙀 ) stated that this was a secretive unit given an airbase in a Reindeer park by Winston Churchill for dropping SOE / OSS supplies into Europe ( Hence the large reindeer head in the design ). However scrawled on the rear of the leather patch in ink,  it has 8AF, Chem. Warfare.   

After reminding the patches and searching again today for the design an image I spotted by Bill Scott brought me back to the forum and the details members have posted, first time I have ever seen the patch shown anywhere at all in forty years.

I can't tell you how many times I have wanted to find these again in the last thirty years, a few other little treasures appeared as well.

fullsizeoutput_13dd2.jpeg.4134d3e5d5d40bd5760561180a6f9283.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_13dd5.jpeg.10217892a793f8cdf67dbd96bf80fd67.jpeg

regards all,  lewis.

I've had two of these patches for years and have compiled what I know is a new post, here.

I've concluded the identification of the patch is:

885th Chemical Warfare & Ordnance Depot | 446rd Bombardment Group | Eighth Air Force