1950s Patch Tabs ( Tactical Unit ) & 142 AAA BN (AW) ( SP)?

tony75

Hello

Does anybody know anything about these patches?

All I could find is The 142nd was around 1953-59?

The Tactical Unit patch? ( Military or Police?)

Thank You

Tony

post-4925-0-26400000-1549280683_thumb.jpeg

• 1 year later...
greendevilsix

Tony,

In James Sawicki's Antiaircraft Artillery Battalions of the US Army, Volume 1, page  290, this is identified as the 142nd Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion (Automatic Weapons) (Self Propelled) assigned to the 42nd Infantry Division from OCT 1952 - MAR 1959.  This is the best I could do as I also have this tab and wanted to know.  Most likely worn on a pocket flap but I am guessing.

Kind Regards,

Jim

On 2/4/2019 at 3:44 AM, tony75 said:

Hello

Does anybody know anything about these patches?

All I could find is The 142nd was around 1953-59?

The Tactical Unit patch? ( Military or Police?)

Thank You

Tony

post-4925-0-26400000-1549280683_thumb.jpeg

The 142nd Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion (Automatic Weapons) (Self Propelled) Tab looks like one worn under an Armored Triangle on fatigue items, and it may of been, as this unit in the 50s is Automatic Self Propelled, and was probably equipt with the Army's new M42 Duster, an Armored Fighting Vehicle.

uyt.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/22/2020 at 9:12 PM, patches said:

The 142nd Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion (Automatic Weapons) (Self Propelled) Tab looks like one worn under an Armored Triangle on fatigue items, and it may of been, as this unit in the 50s is Automatic Self Propelled, and was probably equipt with the Army's new M42 Duster, an Armored Fighting Vehicle.

uyt.png

Looking around more, like in Sawicki's AA Bn Book, we find the 142nd Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion (Automatic Weapons) (Self Propelled) was part of the 42nd Inf Div New York National Guard from 1953 till 1959, and that this unit had no DUI, it did have an unofficial one based on it's Coat of arms, but dosent seem to have had a Pocket Patch made for it. In those days units of the 42nd Inf Div wore their PPs above the U.S. ARMY Tape rather then on the pocket, so perhaps this Tab was worn with a Armored triangle instead.

Here's another Tab for the 142nd Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion (Automatic Weapons) (Self Propelled) posted in the Patch Tabs topic by member 2Dogs a ways back

image.png

Here's another tab for a different AAA (AW) Bn, this one of the New Jersey NG, again pretty sure these were worn under the Armored Triangles on fatigues back then.

post-622-0-32293000-1465504041.jpg