Firestone airborne liner, M1 helmet, 1970 camo cover

Bob Hudson

I picked this up today thinking it was a basic post-Vietnam rig. Then I noticed the liner chinstraps still folded back as they would have come from the factory.

Turned out to be Firestone Liner, Soldier's Steel Helmet (Combat) TYPE II with the suspension dated 21 July 1967. The Mitchell camo cover has a 1970 date.

It looks lke it's all been together for a while so I didn't remove the cover from the steel pot - just folded back a couple flaps to take a photo. The heat number is 3853

We had an older forum thread which said that while this liner was commonly used with an M1C in an "airborne" configuration, they also issued an infantry version with the Firestone liner and a regular M1 helmet.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Beautiful Bob/

Iike I said, I was certain it was a post-Vietnam helmet. Niow if only it had had the M1C steel pot!

Iike I said, I was certain it was a post-Vietnam helmet. Niow if only it had had the M1C steel pot!

All you need is to switch it out with the airborne shell chin straps. preferably ones without that P on the hardware, P for Parrish, I think the consensus is they are fro the 70s into the early 80s.