Help with estate sale patches

Texas36th

I picked up these 2 patches at an estate sale this past weekend. These are way out of my wheel house and would like some help with their authenticity.

Both appear to have been sewn on a garment on one time.

The leather 65th Fighter Sq patch is in excellent condition.

The felt VB 42 USN patch appears to have a couple of tiny specks of moth damage. You can see a few small holes from sewing on the edge and a couple of threads.

Any help would be appreciated.

post-13045-0-66167400-1549201437_thumb.jpg

post-13045-0-79486300-1549201455_thumb.jpg

post-13045-0-95737600-1549201473_thumb.jpg

post-13045-0-72886200-1549201485_thumb.jpg

post-13045-0-99411500-1549201697_thumb.jpg

Just my opinion these look like patches that came out of England back in the 80s.Much better picture would help a lot.Scotty

Hard to tell from the photographs but are the thread compression marks between the needle holes on the leather ones?

Have to agree with Bill that these were made for collectors and English made type. Good idea for newer collectors is to be very, very careful on leather squadron insignia and best to avoid if not sure,it is a minefield.

Hard to tell from the photographs but are the thread compression marks between the needle holes on the leather ones?

I don't see any compression marks. I didn't think these were real when I bought them. They only cost a few bucks apiece so no great loss. Will look good on the wall.

Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see any compression marks. I didn't think these were real when I bought them. They only cost a few bucks apiece so no great loss. Will look good on the wall.

Thanks for the help.

Still good looking patches though. As you say, great for display. Just be sure to label them correctly.