Military Musicians - Bands, Buglers, Drummers - Post them here

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The regimental band of the 322nd Infantry, 81st Division, with some French fans of the "Wildcat" Division in the background.

Wow check out the Japanese Flags there, we tend to forget that Japan was Allies in the Great War.

post-8964-0-35963800-1549915569.jpg

Wow check out the Japanese Flags there, we tend to forget that Japan was Allies in the Great War.

post-8964-0-35963800-1549915569.jpg

.....as were the Italians. The tri-colors would be Belgian, French and Italian flags (interesting that there are no union jacks). The 322nd initally fought with the French Seventh Army which may be the time period for this photograph.

In 1918 the Wildcat Division sailed for Europe where, after additional combat instruction, it was sent on 19 September to the St. Dié sector of France's Vosges Mountain region. There, as part of the French Seventh Army, the division held what was considered a quiet front, although it fought off German trench raids and endured artillery bombardments. On 19 October the Eighty-first was relieved and ordered to the rear to await transfer to the American 1st Army, which was fighting in the Meuse-Argonne offensive. While serving in the St. Dié sector, the division suffered 116 casualties.

.....as were the Italians. The tri-colors would be Belgian, French and Italian flags (interesting that there are no union jacks). The 322nd initally fought with the French Seventh Army which may be the time period for this photograph.

In 1918 the Wildcat Division sailed for Europe where, after additional combat instruction, it was sent on 19 September to the St. Dié sector of France's Vosges Mountain region. There, as part of the French Seventh Army, the division held what was considered a quiet front, although it fought off German trench raids and endured artillery bombardments. On 19 October the Eighty-first was relieved and ordered to the rear to await transfer to the American 1st Army, which was fighting in the Meuse-Argonne offensive. While serving in the St. Dié sector, the division suffered 116 casualties.

Yeah that is odd, no British flags right, one of them might even be a Russian flag or is a Serbian one, don't know why a russian one since they weee out of the camp since the fall of 1917. Also one or more might be a Romanian one too.

Army Infantry Regimental Band in winter garb, circa 1912 or 1913.

The band is wearing one of three patterns of early Army overcoats with turnback cuffs. That would make them either the 1907, or the 1909 or the 1912 specification. Prior to 1907 Army overcoats had plain cuffs and from 1913 to 1918 Army overcoats had cuff tabs with buttons. Also of interest is the fact that the musicians are wearing a mixture of 1911 Service Caps and an early pattern of the Winter Field Cap, and 1907 (spiral strap) and 1910 (front lacing) pattern Canvas Leggings, as well as 1910 Garrison Belts with Rifle Magazine Pouches.

post-5143-0-35006400-1571492325_thumb.jpg

WW2 AAF musician

post-9131-0-31066300-1571496898_thumb.jpg

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I "primarily" collect Gulf War 1 patches. All branches (USA, USAF,USN, USMC & USCG) and ALL Countries..
US - Op.'s Desert Shield / Storm / Provide Comfort /Some Southern Watch - F-4G's Wild Weasels
UK - Op.'s Granby / Sabre / Warden
Canadian - Op. Desert Storm / Op. Friction
French - Daguet / Aconit
Netherlands, Belgium, Poland, South Korea, etc.
Looking for the oddities, including unfinished & flaws
I HAVE EXTRA's!! Will trade as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Here is a great photo of the 50th Artillery CAC Band. This photo was given to my by the daughter of Juho Virta who served with my Grandfather in the 50th. www.50cac.com She gave me a number of other photos, documents and letters. His uniform grouping is out there somewhere as it was given to a collector many years ago and it has changed hands several times. I would very much like to reunit the grouping with his other items...

post-154058-0-48626500-1577456374_thumb.jpg

Here is a great photo of the 50th Artillery CAC Band. This photo was given to my by the daughter of Juho Virta who served with my Grandfather in the 50th. www.50cac.com She gave me a number of other photos, documents and letters. His uniform grouping is out there somewhere as it was given to a collector many years ago and it has changed hands several times. I would very much like to reunit the grouping with his other items...

Here is a photo of the grouping last time it was sold...

post-154058-0-28551700-1577456537_thumb.jpg

Here is a band of the 3rd MARDIV. This was taken by my grandfather from his ship when it arrived in Yokohama on the way to Korea in 1961. I love the bass drum art.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200101/8713536f3847c88c5f1b6c9109a66237.plist

Posted Image

GEN. David R. Atchinson- MO State Guard              ACW

PVT. John H. Drury- Co. A, 27th Ky IR                      ACW               Died of Typhoid

PVT. Henry E. Thomas- Co. I, 17th Ky IR                  ACW

PVT. Joseph E. Drury- Co. E, 356th IR, 89th ID       WWI                WIA

SGT. Edward P. Drury- 51st QM Training Co.           WWII

PFC. Delmer C. Koonter- Co. I, 142nd IR, 36th ID    WWII              WIA

SC3c Michael C. Drury- LCS (L) (3) 70                     WWII

SGT. Steven D. Koonter- 5th Cav, 1st Cav Div         Vietnam

SGT. John M. Drury- 227th AVN Bn. 1st Cav Div     Vietnam

Contact me with items from the 36th Infantry Division or any IDd uniforms of European Theater Infantry Divisions

Posted Image

GEN. David R. Atchinson- MO State Guard              ACW

PVT. John H. Drury- Co. A, 27th Ky IR                      ACW               Died of Typhoid

PVT. Henry E. Thomas- Co. I, 17th Ky IR                  ACW

PVT. Joseph E. Drury- Co. E, 356th IR, 89th ID       WWI                WIA

SGT. Edward P. Drury- 51st QM Training Co.           WWII

PFC. Delmer C. Koonter- Co. I, 142nd IR, 36th ID    WWII              WIA

SC3c Michael C. Drury- LCS (L) (3) 70                     WWII

SGT. Steven D. Koonter- 5th Cav, 1st Cav Div         Vietnam

SGT. John M. Drury- 227th AVN Bn. 1st Cav Div     Vietnam

Contact me with items from the 36th Infantry Division or any IDd uniforms of European Theater Infantry Divisions

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

A recent acquisition

Louis Fortmann, Jr., Principal Musician, 9th Infantry Division 1895, this from period writing on reverse

414365983.jpg

Thanks
Don

....The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

65869251.jpg