WAC Dog Tags and Table Medal

JimD

This is a group attributed to Ruth Mary Cobos, born in 1904, entered service November 1944.

I have not found much more about her other than she lived in Los Angeles before and after the war.

It came with a table medal marked "Bronze" on the rim with what I believe is the maker or designer, "G. Simon" written below Pallas Athene.

Reverse has the SHAEF insignia. I cannot find much about this table medal either.

Jim

post-2661-0-33443900-1549145250.jpg post-2661-0-21598200-1549145260.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My inclination is to leave smiley however, I feel the need to expound.

To begin, these dogtags are highly faked by the Chinese. Notice how the notch in the corner has a slight cant to the left.

There was a Bronze, Silver and Gold version of this medal. The Bronze being the most common and reserved for the less inexperienced.

The medal itself looks like a restrike. Notice the heavy stippling on the obverse. Check for crosshatching on the edge. A good strong digital magnifying glass should suffice.

Hope this helps. :blink:

Just in case anyone is wondering, Demianthedog is a friend of mine who was over on February 10 looking at this small grouping.

We had a few beers. He agreed to take a shot at researching the maker (G. Simon) and see if he could find anything. Apparently he had a few more beers at home and

his above post is the result.

With friends like this..................

• 3 weeks later...
Simon Lerenfort

...To begin, these dogtags are highly faked by the Chinese. Notice how the notch in the corner has a slight cant to the left.....

Hope this helps. :blink:

Personally I would not make such a scathing criticism of the tags without actually seeing a better close up of both sides, I see nothing wrong with the tags but again better photos would help.