USAAF B-14 Enlisted flight jacket display

P-59A

This is my B-14 Enlisted flight jacket display. It is not named or marked. It came patched and yes I dolled it up some. These are hard to find and being I have no name to it I figured as long as everything was original 8th AAF and in keeping with his grade no harm would be done.

post-169522-0-84557700-1549067357.jpg

post-169522-0-90745400-1549067396.jpg

post-169522-0-07737900-1549067407.jpg

Austin_Militaria

Any idea why enlisted and officers were issued these "B" nomenclature of jackets? Why was it different then the regular Ike jacket that an enlisted soldier was issued?

Any idea why enlisted and officers were issued these "B" nomenclature of jackets? Why was it different then the regular Ike jacket that an enlisted soldier was issued?

It has a number of differences. The slotted hand pockets are the give away. I know the guys were cutting down their four pocket class A's to make British type battle jackets. The Ike was was made after the British battle jacket. I don't know if these showed up just before the Ike or just after. I think the Ike won out as a main issue worn item. I don't know if anyone wore these as actual flight jackets. I think they were stepping out on the town jackets.

Some info on it..."

'Jacket, Enlisted Men's, Flight, Type B-14'. By W & Clothing Co. Size 38. Technically a flight jacket but essentially an 'Ike' type jacket that preceded the 'Ike' and was unique to the AAF. Standardized for use by enlisted air crewmen in March 1944. Similar in appearance to an 'Ike' and manufactured in olive drab wool (Shade No.54). It has concealed breast pockets (with exposed flaps) and midriff slash pockets.

Austin_Militaria

Some info on it..."

'Jacket, Enlisted Men's, Flight, Type B-14'. By W & Clothing Co. Size 38. Technically a flight jacket but essentially an 'Ike' type jacket that preceded the 'Ike' and was unique to the AAF. Standardized for use by enlisted air crewmen in March 1944. Similar in appearance to an 'Ike' and manufactured in olive drab wool (Shade No.54). It has concealed breast pockets (with exposed flaps) and midriff slash pockets.

Were these issued as flying clothing to be worn during flight?

Were these issued as flying clothing to be worn during flight?

That was the intent. These were used for the most part as an Ike was used.