Help with sword

NIce... Any other pics of the blade? Area under the pommel?

You could send a pic to Dave Taylors Civil War Antiques

[email protected]

I dont know if they would answer you???... My guess is probably, and if anyone knows its Dave Taylor

He sells a ton of civi war stuff and swords.

Yes, a pre-war sword from the 1840s at the latest. Of course it could still have been used by a Militia Officer during the CW.

Harold Peterson's The American Sword can still be a handy book for quick reference on dating swords. It went through a number of printings, including a paperback, so you can likely find one reasonably priced. But he is too doctrinaire about calling any brass mounted sword of this period artillery and any iron mounted sword infantry. He is taking that from the use of gold and silver as branch of service colors in the regular army, but all bets are off when you start talking about militia swords and the vast, vast majority of swords during this period were for militia, where such things were often up to individual taste or regulations at a company level.

I think everyone is right in the dating of the sword-- roughly somewhere from 1820 to 1850. It is sort of a degraded form of an earlier high grade officer's sword. Peterson looked at the 1821 US regulations that mention straight-bladed swords and assigned it a date on that basis, but even he admits they continued to be used for a long time.