McClellan Army saddle

The McClellan saddle was adopted by the US War Department in 1859 and used up through WWII. I am trying to identify the possible maker and the possible age or model. One of the brass tabs/plates has a set of initials, FNVE, perhaps the makers mark. There are also some numbers stamped on a piece of the lather on the saddle. Any help would be appreciated.

post-49620-0-88539200-1548952154.jpg

post-49620-0-45093800-1548952168.jpg

post-49620-0-74460800-1548952177.jpg

DesertDonn

www.rememberingokinawa.com

Always looking to buy Okinawa Military club tokens and paper chits

I maybe can get you started on this. It is a model 1904 McClellan and has been modified later, probably around 1912-1928 (or ?) with the addition of the leather skirts/fenders and the iron stirrups. Regards.

Check out my website of Military Relics and Collectibles: http://www.ourboysof98.com
I try to update it by adding several new items each month, so keep checking back.

Thanks,
keith

donation2011.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I maybe can get you started on this. It is a model 1904 McClellan and has been modified later, probably around 1912-1928 (or ?) with the addition of the leather skirts/fenders and the iron stirrups. Regards.

Thanks Keith, do not know if it makes that much difference but the stirrups are brass...

DesertDonn

www.rememberingokinawa.com

Always looking to buy Okinawa Military club tokens and paper chits

Hard to diagnose from the photos just what you have going on here.

FNVE is an argenitine saddle maker

My best bet is that this is a Argentine McClellan copy made in the 1960s for the endurance saddle market here

They used to offer these for sale in Western horseman and practical horseman magazines in the 1960s-1970s.

It's not an issue seat as the pommel is not as prominent as on an issue saddle

Value on non-military McClellans is not great 75.00 - 100.00 if you can find a buyer.

Tom Bowers