Marine Patch Location

smwinter207

It could possibly be something else. Perhaps some type of qualification badge (airborne)? Left side is traditionally branch of service. Seems like even if the name was short the tape would extend farther. Is there evidence of a tape over the other breast pocket?

I tend to think it was a name tag, perhaps one done a one point, as per unit SOP, maybe even Boot Camp, then the NAME Stencil as per SOP in another unit with the tag being removed? I wound.nt say and Vise a Versa cause if the Stencil was done first then one would think the tape would be placed over the Stencil to cover it, Ditto if it was a used shirt with a previous owner.

50s done, early 60s I should think, as it's a Gomer Pyle shirt (is it the HBT version?). Plus the Marines of course did not use Tapes like the Army did,, their U.S. ARMY tape, didn't start that with the U.S. MARINES till the 80s. (MACV USMC Advisors in Vietnam not withstanding). Cloth Qualification badges, would think they would use metal badges if done, even then one sees that more towards the mid 60s if done.

All valid points Patches. I certainly wouldn't bet against it being a name tape.

Interesting vignette regarding USMC name tapes. In the early 90s when the USMC was going to name and service tapes I was doing my B billet at the School of Infantry. The school Ops Chief had joined the Corps late 50s/early 60s. (We were related. My father and him were cousins. Made for some interesting SNAFUs with leave balances, dry cleaning, etc at such a small command.) We were talking about the new policy one day when he mentioned that he had seen tapes come and go before in his career. The next day he brought in a set of herringbone (I believe) name tapes and put them on his desk as a conversation piece.