Need help identifying something on a WWI US Army uniform...

I have a complete WWI US Army uniform passed down from a great-great-Uncle and have identified all the items on it except one. On the upper left sleeve there is a red honorable discharge chevron with a gold star beneath it. I have seen numerous pics of uniforms on this site showing one or two of those chevrons, but never any showing a star beneath the chevron. This was 'found' in an attic by my great Aunt and given to me years ago so I don't believe it was modified or adapted in any way. My first thought was that it may have signified multiple awards; though I'm not sure why there would be more than one honorable discharge to begin with!

Several Google searches and checking various reference sites hasn't solved the mystery either. Can anyone give me an explanation as to what the gold star means? I know he served overseas for two 'tours' due to the chevrons on the lower right sleeve ... maybe something to do with that? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Tom

post-213751-0-06902500-1548879068.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 1/31/2019 at 3:59 PM, GIl Sanow said:

Can we have a closeup of the star? How is it attached?

G

Sorry, haven’t been to the forum in a hot second!  Two closeups below.  Star is on a threaded post, theough the sleeve, and secured with a screw on metal disk. 

9538AE7B-1021-492B-96C6-1F69409A3F3C.jpeg

8DFBDF9B-8DAF-4F5E-ABCF-9BBF5D08237C.jpeg

• 3 months later...

Thanks, all, for the info and pointing me to more information on the star.  A google search revealed no information on it and I really hadn't seen any other pictures of the WWI uniform with the star on it.  Great info!