Early Grenade?

firstdefense1

firstdefense1

Hello everyone,

New here so if I'm violating the rules please forgive me. I recently came into possession of a huge stockpile of WWI and WWII military items from the estate of a career Army officer who passed. Long story short, there were among other things a couple of crates full of MKII grenade bodies as well as MK1 training grenades (the four cases of live grenades are now resting comfortably in the possession of the MSP Bomb Squad). Mixed in with the grenade bodies was a strange cast iron body about the size of a large egg. It has a threaded hole in the top and the only marking on it is located on the bottom and appears to read "F2". Does anybody have a clue what this might be? I was thinking possibly a real early grenade. I can't seem to be able to upload pictures no matter how I resize them so unfortunately If anyone wants to see pictures PM me and I'll email them.

Thanks

A picture would definatly be helpful, does it look like this? If so it might be a captured German M39 egg grenade. It would be neat to see pictures of all the grenades.

post-193671-0-43197000-1548805710.jpg

firstdefense1

Thanks for the reply. I found out that it is an early German WWI MK17 egg grenade. Now I just need to find a fuse for it and it will make a good display.

firstdefense1

Just a small sample of the Grenades I acquired from the estate, All inert of course. Have cases of these things.

post-213566-0-47575600-1548889419_thumb.jpg

Are any of the M3 Rifle Grenade rounds in a Lake City box with the wartime blue stripes? I've not had any luck finding photos of that box.

Thanks for looking and posting the photo. That spam can is in great shape.

That is an amazing collection, I especially like the booby trap adaptors and the rifle grenades. Neat to have found a lot more BB marked grenades also.

Browninggunner688

Superb collection of grenades, rifle grenades and practice rifle grenades.

Would love one of those spam cans for my rifle grenade collection but I have never been able to find one here in England.

Can still remember the excitement of me finding my first real U.S. WW2 grenade with correct fuse, but to get crate fulls of them, wow.

Thanks for sharing them with us.

Nick.

firstdefense1

Are any of the M3 Rifle Grenade rounds in a Lake City box with the wartime blue stripes? I've not had any luck finding photos of that box.

Thanks for looking and posting the photo. That spam can is in great shape.

No Lake City but I have some unopened Frankford Arsenal ones.

post-213566-0-90387700-1548967591.jpg

firstdefense1

Great collection, will you be selling of the cans or duplicates in the future. Regards

Thanks,

Yes I will be selling off most of the items. I'm only keeping a few examples for my own collection then the rest are going. I have M1, M3 and M6 booby trap detonators/igniters, M5 Mousetrap pressure release detonators, M2 weather proof Fuse lighters, training rifle grenades, MKII training grenade bodies, Radio equipment, field gear, M7 rifle grenade boosters, M1 pressure firing devices and many other things that I have yet to go thru.

Thanks for posting the photos of the Frankford Arsenal Rifle Grenade boxes. I would be interested in one when you finally decide to part with some. Regards, Charlie

• 1 month later...
firstdefense1

well thanks to a forum member from New Zealand I was able to acquire a fuse assembly for the egg grenade and it looks great.

Thanks for the help Matt M.

post-213566-0-95852600-1553005082_thumb.jpg

Charlie Flick

That looks great. Nice work.

BTW, when you get around to disposing of the part of the collection that you intend to sell, I hope that you will give Forum members a fair crack at it. As you can see there is a lot of interest in this stuff here.

Regards,

Charlie

firstdefense1

That looks great. Nice work.

BTW, when you get around to disposing of the part of the collection that you intend to sell, I hope that you will give Forum members a fair crack at it. As you can see there is a lot of interest in this stuff here.

Regards,

Charlie

I plan on offering pretty much all of it to forum members as soon as I reach my 30 posts. Been cataloging everything and putting lists together, I've been working on this estate since July of last year so that should give you an idea of how much stuff there is. And its all WW1, WW2 and Korea.

firstdefense1

Keith,

I'm still interested in a box of M3 Rifle Grenade rounds. Thanks.

Charlie

Just sent you an email.