Rare WW1 US Naval Pilots wings 1917 by Fattorini & Sons Bradford

aerocollector2014

aerocollector2014

A recent addition to my collection, a rather rare US Navy 1917 Pilots badge by the UK maker Fattorini and Sons Bradford . Wing is full size 2 3/4"

Hope you like

Steve

post-155446-0-40541300-1548798604_thumb.jpg

aerocollector2014

The firm Fattorini & Sons were part of a family of badge and medal makers , there were two firms in the same family both situated in Bradford , the other was Thomas Fattorini , later the companies merged .

Both companies produced medal and badges by private order during WW 1 , I know of three RFC bronze wings produced by Thomas Fattorini and marked as such ....these are rare . This though is the first ever aviators wing I have ever seen made by the other company of the family.

Patrick,

Yes, they made a parachute badge in WWII that is REALLY hard to find. Also, the badge does not look like the standard British style. They look much more like a US made wing.

Allan

Wow! It's an outstanding Wing, thank you for sharing!

I wonder if Fattorini was of Italian origin... it does not sound like a traditional British name!

Wow! It's an outstanding Wing, thank you for sharing!

I wonder if Fattorini was of Italian origin... it does not sound like a traditional British name!

From Wikipedia:

Fattorini & Sons was a jewellery business established by a family of Italian immigrants who arrived in the British city of Leeds, in Yorkshire, England in the early 19th century.[1] Antonio Fattorini opened a shop in Harrogate to take advantage of seasonal trade in Harrogate in 1831, this business is today owned and run by descendants of the founders. In the 1850s he opened a shop in Bradford with two of his sons.

Thank you Steve for this info!

It's incredible: one of the very best Italian wings and medals maker is Johnson, founded in 1830 by Mr. James Johnson, a British medal maker who emigrated from Birmingham (UK) to Milano (Italy)... still in business today. A curious parallel!