M43 Cap... Odd

Schnicklfritz

Schnicklfritz

I picked this up recently. First one I got and never really looked at the M43 cap before. Thought it was just a plain Jane M43 cap that the dealer said was out of a small USMC grouping. Didn't pay too much attention when I clicked the button, but I got it and there are some differences to a standard M43 cap. It is made of tan twilled cloth that matches up exactly to early WW2 USMC khaki tan trouser cloth in weight, weave and color. Not HBT. There are no vent grommets. And there is no sign of it ever having a manufacturer's tag inside it. I suspect that the hat is a "field made" item or perhaps made in Australia. It is nicely done, no sloppy sewing machine work.

Thoughts?

post-115-0-86725000-1548794969_thumb.jpg

Schnicklfritz

Named on the inside to a Ristine. Hand written on the back side of the sweatband. Doesn't look too have been worn too many times if at all.

post-115-0-88727800-1548795212_thumb.jpg

jeremiahcable

There are two Marines with the last name Ristine that this could have belonged to. Robert was a PFC with the 5th Defense Bn early in the war then later was with Wpns Co 6th Marines in Okinawa. Looks like he came back in during the Korean war but stayed stateside.

The other Ristine is Alan and he was a stateside guy during the KW as well.

Schnicklfritz

Thanks for the info on the Marine. I looked through some rosters, but came up with nothing. Hoping he still has some of the other items from the grouping that would give a full name and some history behind it.

Schnicklfritz

Made in Japan with the look of a Swing cap.

This brings up a question for me. Is this something that would have ended up being used by a Marine? From what I can see just using a quick search of the forum etc., that most appear to have been associated with Airborne units in Japan.

I found one of these at a he rose bowl flea market

Same as this

It had outline of basic para wing clearly visible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schnicklfritz

Did a little on line research when I was able. Didn't know about these. They are outside my area. Appear to be specific to the Japanese occupation era post WW2 and the basically "outlawed in '47. I think I may have another variant that I thought was a USMC field made cover. What do these caps go for in the community these days?

This is not a Marine cap, it has a pleat in the center front, this is the Army style. The Marine version has a flat panel in the front to accommodate the printed EGA and the pleats off center. Given the material it is made of I would say it is a Swing Cap favored by the 11th Airborne during the occupation. Not an issue item but Gen. Swing liked the hat so much he had them made in better material and wore it with his Class A's and the rest of the division jumped on the band wagon. You also find them in OD wool.

Schnicklfritz

Looking around, I see that there is alot of variation to these Swing caps. Can't find anything about value on them though. What would one of this style go for these days? Appreciate any help.