1980's USMC KHAKI SHIRT WITH SHAPE SSI

BEAST

Here is an unusual (to me at least) USMC khaki shirt with a SHAPE SSI. The shirt has a contract date of 1985. I did not know that the Marines would wear an SSI no matter what the assignment.

BTW, if I misidentified the SSI, please let me know. I thought SHAPE had changed from a black background to a blue, but I'm not positive.

post-203-0-94313300-1548727997_thumb.jpg

post-203-0-69586200-1548728004_thumb.jpg

We haven't worn SSI since 1947...no idea why it's on there but it shouldn't be and definitely wasn't worn that way during service

We haven't worn SSI since 1947...no idea why it's on there but it shouldn't be and definitely wasn't worn that way during service

Brig,

Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought. The only thing is that there were three of these shirts with SSI, all nicely pressed.

I also doubt he would have labeled it 'Ben'...possibly a MCJROTC or other group? They have less rules, it's not uncommon to see a weird medley of insignias with those groups, I deal with 40 or so a year and the uniforms range from border-line military regs to a T-Shirt.

I also doubt he would have labeled it 'Ben'...possibly a MCJROTC or other group? They have less rules, it's not uncommon to see a weird medley of insignias with those groups, I deal with 40 or so a year and the uniforms range from border-line military regs to a T-Shirt.

Definitely could be MCJROTC, but do they wear regulation rank? In the collar of the shirt, there is the name "Barnett" stamped. Also there is the number "12" marked at the bottom of the shirt.

post-203-0-16003900-1548731138_thumb.jpg

Is that the black-background SHAEF patch? I believe it was last worn in 1945 or the immediate postwar occupation years. Is there a chance these were made for a movie or costume?

Definitely could be MCJROTC, but do they wear regulation rank? In the collar of the shirt, there is the name "Barnett" stamped. Also there is the number "12" marked at the bottom of the shirt.

attachicon.gifshirt number web.jpg

Some do

Is that the black-background SHAEF patch? I believe it was last worn in 1945 or the immediate postwar occupation years. Is there a chance these were made for a movie or costume?

Both are excellent possibilities, but I was thinking about it last night and I am leaning towards a veteran's piece that was worn for USMC Birthday celebration, parades, etc.

I believe you are correct that the black background went out shortly after WWII.