M1 Helmet repaint

airborneguy44

airborneguy44

Hi all,

I recently acquired a FS FB helmet not long ago that I am planning on presenting to a WWII vet. I have a picture of the vet in theater with his helmet (net and all). I have the same type of net (1/4in) that he has in the picture and plan to install it. However, the shell itself was sandblasted and has no trace of original paint. I'm trying to give the shell the "been there done that" look. I don't want to use an OD spray that gives it an un-issued look. I was curious of anyone knew of any OD paints that are a darker shade of OD or any mixes that I could use to give this desired look. Thanks! (Note: In no way, shape, or form am I trying to use this to pass off helmets as originals. I am strictly trying to surprise a vet with a helmet. This is a one time thing)

Can you post pics of the shell?

While I have not personally done business with them, J. Murray Inc. is spoken very highly of. They have liner and shell paints, with oodles of other parts, on their site.

https://jmurrayinc1944.com

If it is currently bare metal, you are not going to have much choice but to spray it, then artificially age it. I think the key - as you mention - is getting the color right.

airborneguy44

I am working on uploading pics, but until then you shell is just plain, bare metal. No paint whatsoever. I have also done plenty of business with Josh at J.Murray. His restorations and parts are undoubtedly top notch. However, his restorations give the new, un-issued look. I've asked him in the past about weathering his helmets but he said he doesn't do that. I appreciate the recommendations to him, but I'm looking for a shade of OD that is darker, giving the dirty, sat in the sun for months, been there done that appearance.

While restoring a helmet to a new look in order to present it to a vet as a remembrance gift is admirable, aging it to a been there done that look is in question. It is also be contrary to the purpose of this forum, (which is to preserve and collect historical items), to give instructions on how to artifically age a helmet in order to make it look like it is 70+ years old. As such, this thread is closed to further discussion.