ID this WW1 USMC Ribbon Bar?

Keith

This ribbon bar is in a grouping of a WW1 Marine, in France, in the AVIATION branch. (His Victory medal has the AVIATION clasp) His visor EGA is of the pre 1910 type. I have been unable to identify this ribbon. Thanks.

usmc_ribbon_1.jpg

usmc_ribbon_2.jpg

Hello Keith,

You have a very nice World War I Marine Corps medal group.

Rim numbered Marine Corps Good Conduct Medals were issued right after World War I. They were supposed to only have been issued to Marines who enlisted for the duration of the war, I'm sure there were a few exceptions. To receive one of these Good Conduct Medals there was no specified time period only that the Marine's character of service be excellent. These medals were impressed with "No." prefixed numbers between 20,000 and 71,000. There are examples were the number was engraved rather than impressed. They were issued in white cardboard boxes with the medal number on the box lid.

I have a small list of WWI Marine Good Conduct Medal recipients. The list accounts for about 1,510 of the 51,000 numbered medals issued to Marines after the war. Unfortunately your medal, No. 34477, is not on the list. I love the box, it is much harder to find than the medal.

Semper Fi,
Bruce Linz

Hello Keith,

You have a very nice World War I Marine Corps medal group.

Rim numbered Marine Corps Good Conduct Medals were issued right after World War I. They were supposed to only have been issued to Marines who enlisted for the duration of the war, I'm sure there were a few exceptions. To receive one of these Good Conduct Medals there was no specified time period only that the Marine's character of service be excellent. These medals were impressed with "No." prefixed numbers between 20,000 and 71,000. There are examples were the number was engraved rather than impressed. They were issued in white cardboard boxes with the medal number on the box lid.

I have a small list of WWI Marine Good Conduct Medal recipients. The list accounts for about 1,510 of the 51,000 numbered medals issued to Marines after the war. Unfortunately your medal, No. 34477, is not on the list. I love the box, it is much harder to find than the medal.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

Thank you Bruce for that information and for checking the GCM number to your known list. I appreciate it. keith

This comment is about the AVIATION clasp on the Victory medal. I read somewhere that the Marines were the only ones to have that?

Bruce and the rest of the Devil Dogs out here; didn't the Marine Corp League use that interallied ribbon on their organization medals for a short period after WWI?

• 2 weeks later...

Veterans Groups - Ribbons

The vintage ribbon shown (above in the MC grouping) is often mistaken for the first victory service ribbon issued though in fact, it is not an official Army issue ribbon. Rather, it is an example of an award which was generally locally issued. It was issued to service members returning home by certain local government entities such as counties and townships, and it is not an officially issued Victory service ribbon. Nearly all returning soldiers received various awards from their home states, counties, cities and communities. These types of awards were usually presented as a show of appreciation a year before the Victory Medal was issued. (page 63: statement from my book which can be found on Amazon).

post-12923-0-35183500-1549553807_thumb.jpg