Newest service flag

Love of flags

Love of flags

It finally made it in!!! No help to usps and the quality shipping they do! In love with this piece. My biggest flag/banner in size not star count though. First one with an ornate design. Wish I knew the history if this piece!

post-162780-0-09253900-1548544739.jpg

post-162780-0-47254700-1548544760.jpg

post-162780-0-91852200-1548544802.jpg

post-162780-0-43225900-1548544850.jpg

Love of flags

Thank you sir that means a lot coming from you. Book any closer? I never did get you the picture of my personalized banner.

I remember watching a 1940s movie, and someone is walking through a big train station, and over the huge glass doors is a large service banner that has hundreds of stars and at the top, the number of boys in service from the town/city. I supposes one with this many stars could be from a smaller town, or a school or even a Church. All those types of places kept track of boys in service.

Super cool find! Sad for the families of the two golds. Very moving.

Would love to see your higher count one. Have you posted?

Do you ever see wool-on-wool son-in-service flags?

Thanks! My book on the service flags is in the Publishers "production queue". I am hoping to have some promo materials for it at the Show of Shows. There are several great shots of service flags in movies (Even in "Runaway Bride") but trying to secure the rights for use in the book was nearly impossible.

Love of flags

Here is my largest star count. Let me find a picture of my second largest.

I remember watching a 1940s movie, and someone is walking through a big train station, and over the huge glass doors is a large service banner that has hundreds of stars and at the top, the number of boys in service from the town/city. I supposes one with this many stars could be from a smaller town, or a school or even a Church. All those types of places kept track of boys in service.

Super cool find! Sad for the families of the two golds. Very moving.

Would love to see your higher count one. Have you posted?

Do you ever see wool-on-wool son-in-service flags?

post-162780-0-51665300-1548552486_thumb.jpg

Jerry, I was searching for the topic you posted a year ago or so, where you did a flag display at a historical society or some such.

I may not have all the facts right, but do you remember what I’m talking about?

Thank you Sir.

Thanks-

Sadly they don't get out in the light of day much. I plan on having a book release party when the book finally does come out and doing a display of the service flags there too.

Outstanding example! I found a smaller more austere example this weekend, though it is indeed a larger sized flag. I have been trying to research the differences between WWI and WWII flags, do you have any pointers?

post-181923-0-35696000-1549297907_thumb.jpg

Love of flags

Love the stars on that piece!!!....let's let Mr. Jerry answer that one. I mean he is the guy who wrote a book on these flags and banners.

Close up.

Thanks, that is what I was hoping! Can't wait to get his book also. This example has gray metal grommets on the top edge (I've seen gold/brass grommets on examples listed as WWII vintage if that matters), what appears to be hand stitching on the stars, and they are on relatively light fabric which appears to be cotton. The aging makes me think WWI, but not sure that is a good guide.

Love of Flags, Thanks for posting your recent additions. The uniqueness of the Sons in Service flags has always appealed to me.

Mr. Jerry, Looking forward to seeing your book!

I would say WWI on that one as well. The longer more red to white field ratio, material, size and even shape of stars, sewing, type of grommets all point to WWI for me.

But many did see use in both wars. And many were made by hand that can get really confusing, for every rule there is an exception (or ten!)

• 1 month later...

Hello. Thought I would add this one for an opinion on age. It is silk like material except for the stars which are felt. It is approximately 36x 26. Found it at an estate sale, no history on it. WW2?

Thanks,
Mike

post-152114-0-86686100-1554566326_thumb.jpg

manayunkman

Grey beard that's a beauty.

In all my years of beating the bushes (56) I only found 2 of these multi stared banners.

Both had come from Central PA factories.