Unusual Robbins Attleboro Wing - ID'd 1930 International Aircraft Show badge

Airborne-Hunter

Airborne-Hunter

Recently picked this wing up. Marked Robbins, very well made, but I'm not sure what its for? I feel that I've seen it before, but not sure where? Any thoughts? Thanks ABN

post-1800-0-05732400-1548541558.jpg

vintageproductions

James isn't that center a training insignia, like maybe a certain field?

I know I have seen it before.

I've had one of these for 10 years or more. In 40 years of collecting WW2 Pilot Training stuff, I can say with some some certainy it is not from any of the AAF Contract Flying Schools. My guess is it is from one of the CPT / CAA WTS schools, or a civilian flying school.

• 1 month later...

While this doesn't provide conclusive proof what these wings were used for, but here is a 1930 International Air Show ribbon. Note that the brooch is the same as the above wing.

post-1519-0-87207400-1553192899.jpg

Here is a poster from that same show. You can see the airplane below the wing and the star in the wing on top. Two of the same motifs in the brooch.

I know I have been looking for what this wing is for years myself. I always assumed it was a flight school or something like that, but now its nice to see what it was used for (probably) originally.

post-1519-0-35862400-1553197274_thumb.jpg

rathbonemuseum.com

That is a great solve Patrick. Well done. One might even go so far as to say you could be a researcher!

Too much time spent on the internet. But this one had been bedeviling me for years (like Cookieman). So it was exciting to see an EBAY auction with this ribbon in a group to an early flight instructor. Its not that these wings couldn't have been used for other things, but at least we have an early time point to compare with other wings.

• 1 year later...
5thwingmarty

I picked up one of these wings, and it took me a while to find this post to remind me what they were attributed to.  After some more searching online I found images of another badge from the event.  Since the pins are completely different, it doesn't look like the wings were part of official badges.  I am guessing maybe just souvenir wings available to attendees of the event?  One site I found said more than 100,000 people visited the show.

Air show wing front.JPG

Air show wing rear.JPG

1930 badge front.jpg

1930 badge rear.jpg