M1 Helmet with White Circle in the ETO, Footage

Burning Hazard

Burning Hazard

Watching some footage I noticed, what appears to be a horse mounted major(?), directing German troops in Italy after their surrender. Note he has a white circle painted on the back, we associate these with corpsman but this shows something different. They all have 34th ID insignia painted on their helmets so that rules out Navy or Corpsmen.

Anybody got any idea what it could mean? Tac mark?

Pat

post-8715-0-91343100-1548394927_thumb.jpg

Cool footage not sure about the helmet but it is remarkable to see the German prisoners going to captivity riding motorcycles and horses

PacificGunner

I agree that it is quite interesting to see German prisoners riding into their captivity, especially because the American security seems to be spread very thin among the convoy. As for the helmet, my immediate guess without context of the footage would be a corpsman which is why it is very interesting to see that insignia outside of the PTO. I have seen helmets from the 463rd Parachute Field Artillery Battalion with white circles painted on them, but the circles on the examples I have seen are painted on the sides. I was trying to see if I could identify any other insignia on the horse mounted soldier and if you pause the video at 1:35 he appears to be wearing crossed rifles or cannons as his collar insignia. If he is part of the 34th ID I wonder if it was some sort of variation of the leadership stripe.

Those German troops are fresh off the field. Look at how they march I noticed at least two Germans with pistol holsters on their belts and a large number with field gear. I could not make out what was on the three jeep bumpers, but the first two had the same markings. The horse the American is on was taken from the Germans. In one shot a stirrup is still on the saddle while his foot is in the other. All of the horses are worn out. A number of Americans have the same unit mark on the front of their helmets, just can't make it out. In as far as the American Officer on the horse...maybe a leadership mark other than a stripe?

Burning Hazard

Yes, they are 34th ID in Italy as per footage caption, they have the red bull insignia painted on the front.

While digging deeper, I found another 34th helmet posted by GeneralCheese that has a white triangle painted on the back, my guess is tac marking.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/267233-34th-division-captains-helmet-with-triangle-opinions/

post-8715-0-36844400-1548442990_thumb.jpg

PacificGunner

Looks like there is a whole new set of tac marks to be discovered.

I agree, I have never seen these shapes painted on the back of US helmets before. This is the first time they have been brought to my attention and It is interesting that all of the variations brought up so far are on helmets from the 34th ID

It's from this film on the liberation of Munich around the 1:09 mark..

Also at the :36 mark, you'll see some square markings on the back of the helmet.

These may be the 157th IR of the 45th ID.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Also at the :36 mark, you'll see some square markings on the back of the helmet.

Nice video with lots of tactical marks, thanks for sharing. They are 3rd Infantry Division, you can just make out the square on the side in your snip. Later at !;25 in the video a 3rd ID SSI can be seen on the helmet.

post-153751-0-20905100-1548472559_thumb.jpg

G Co. 30th IR 3rd ID 8 May 1945. From: http://www.warfoto.com/3rdsocietyphotos2ww2.htm

these should probably get their own thread if they don't already have them.

Burning Hazard

At the beginning the triangle painted helmets are an armored unit, I know one of the forum guys owns their helmet.

Reference pic from M1 Helmet Depot

Pat

post-8715-0-29717100-1548529904_thumb.jpg