45th Chaplain Helmet - Thoughts / Update

MasonK

I would like to replace the Chaplain's Crosses (for display purposes ONLY and NOT in a permanent manor).

So, if anyone has one (or two) period crosses for sale please PM me.

Mark the only problem you will have using period crosses is one cross will be damaged for the placement. I would see if a more current cross will match the dimensions and break off one stem that matches the one hole that still has the solder and bend the other stem on the inside of the helmet so as not to damage the liner. You can put a correct one on the liner.

Nice helmet.

Marty

I guess it depends on who is defining the word “messing”.

I am not permanently affixing anything to the helmet.

You can call that whatever you like.

Either way I am not going to clean the inside of the liner.

Like I said, I am not "messing with" the Chaplain's helmet.

There is nothing "improper" or "deceiving" about what I am doing since I am not permanently affixing the cross or adding the cross to deceive a potential buyer.

Not that I have to explain myself to you since frankly it is my helmet, and if I want to chuck it off of a bridge or paint it bright pink, I can do so,

Now if I were to take a plain jane helmet and then paint it up to look like a really super awesome ARVN Ranger helmet, that would be "messing with" the helmet.

Hello,

You are the owner of the helmet and do what you want with it.

But since you are talking about it on a forum, it is normal that some people will find it disturbing.

I also think it is a strange idea to mess with it as it is totally untouched since WW2.

One can clearly see the mark of the cross on the shell, which itself gives a lot of charm to the helmet :)

GeneralCheese

I'm completely with Anton on this, he's not "messing" with the helmet by non-permanently sticking a cross on it. He's going to basically balance it in the existing holes. It's like saying putting a helmet in a box is messing with it. You can just take it out of the box again, no harm done.

Adding to it, is actually taking away from the helmet. In my opinion, I like to leave a helmet as it was found. But, that's just me.

That said, the owner of any helmet can do what pleases them. Whether I like it or not, since it is not displayed in my collection, but is displayed in Anton's collection, my opinion does not matter.

I could see if Mark said he's going to braze on a cross to the shell, however he specifically said he wasn't permanently affixing it, and it is for his display.

What he's doing is no different than adding a Mitchell cover to a Vietnam era helmet, or a net to a WWII helmet, or replacing a leather liner chinstrap. They are not permanently modifying the helmet, as they are easily reversible.

At this point, the helmet is pretty well documented now that it's been posted/discussed on the forum; just shy of 5k views. I imagine anyone looking to purchase it will have already seen this topic, or stumble upon it when looking to buy. Not implying that Mark would even attempt to try to pass it off as originally having the crosses.

I think that as long as it doesn't permanently damage the helmet in any way then it's fine. Personally, I would keep it the way it is as I find it more enjoyable how it is, but he may do what he wishes as it is his.

Call me a helmet purist or whatever you want, I'm just in this hobby for the fun like everyone else. Personally, I find more enjoyment from keeping things the way they are, but maybe that is just me. If I spend my money on something then I should be able to do what I please with it, even if it is to the disdain of others.

Hunt

For the record, from day one I intended to replace the cross for display (in a NON-permanent manor).

If you re-read my post (104) you will see that I was not looking for opinions on that issue.

I was merely hoping someone may have a cross available.

That being said, I expected that others may have an issue with that course of action and have no problem with them voicing their opinions.

I understand their point of view.

Burning Hazard

could the cross been taken off during time of service ? why is the area above so smooth ?

food for thought

Looks like something was there before it was scraped off and helmet repainted with another coat of OD paint; maybe a previous cross or rank. Not uncommon for military to recycle/re-use helmets like that.

Pat

From looking at the helmet in hand I really do not believe that it was ever repainted.

If the cross was taken off for re-service I would think that the area where the cross was present would have been painted over.

Just my two cents.

the only way you are going to get the full story on it is if golden arrow can get his record if not destroyed in the 73 fire. that will tell you if a chap. or med.

I think that as long as it doesn't permanently damage the helmet in any way then it's fine. Personally, I would keep it the way it is as I find it more enjoyable how it is, but he may do what he wishes as it is his.

Call me a helmet purist or whatever you want, I'm just in this hobby for the fun like everyone else. Personally, I find more enjoyment from keeping things the way they are, but maybe that is just me. If I spend my money on something then I should be able to do what I please with it, even if it is to the disdain of others.

Hunt

It will damage the helmet

Anton is not a professional

Messing with fragile paint in any way will alter it

Moderation of this thread has been selective

Let it go

Or not

Owen