45th Chaplain Helmet - Thoughts / Update

MasonK

Captainofthe7th

Hello Rob,

I agree, typical immediate post war helmet, occupation of Germany. I like it. I have seen many and this is a good one.

The dates are in agreement with your knowledge - he transferred from 103d to the 45th on 5 July 1945. not sure when he came home, but either way you're looking at immediate post war for sure.

Rob

The laundry mark does match an officer who was a Chaplain with the 103rd Div in WWII. His name is not Salter, though.

Alright, the chaplain served with both 103rd and 45th in WWII. I initially thought Korea, but I think it is a solid WWII lid. I would buy if I were you!

PM inbound.

Rob

The 103rd and 45th connection makes sense ,I have a grouping to a doctor who was wartime with 45th then occupation with the 103rd

His helmet has over painted 45th patches .

Seems like everyone is loving this Lid so I would really like someone to explain the over run of the insignia and it’s cracking on the helmet that looks raised almost. Has the shell also been shellacked?

Also the insignia has been repainted at some point, has that also been chemically treated to preserve etc

Another point I would add is the chinstraps look very good compared to the liner which is filthy,

I have no dog in the fight here but would really love someone to explain the paint I’ve pointed out so I more understand

Thanks in advance

- Dean

GeneralCheese

Seems like everyone is loving this Lid so I would really like someone to explain the over run of the insignia and its cracking on the helmet that looks raised almost. Has the shell also been shellacked?

Also the insignia has been repainted at some point, has that also been chemically treated to preserve etc

Another point I would add is the chinstraps look very good compared to the liner which is filthy,

I have no dog in the fight here but would really love someone to explain the paint Ive pointed out so I more understand

Thanks in advance

- Dean

A lot of factors can cause cracking in paint, especially being applied in a wet environment, or applying another coat over a not yet fully dry coat.

A lot of factors can cause cracking in paint, especially being applied in a wet environment, or applying another coat over a not yet fully dry coat.

As well as different types of paints or the thinners can react to each other.This can cause lifting, cracking, separation etc.

Cheers Cheese

- Dean

As well as different types of paints or the thinners can react to each other.This can cause lifting, cracking, separation etc.

Thanks

- Dean

You can see a yellow square was painted first and then a very thin red was applied over top with a separate bird template/mask which is why the edges have the cracking too off the edge, but if this was the method I am not sure why the bird has red cracks.

You can see a yellow square was painted first and then a very thin red was applied over top with a separate bird template/mask which is why the edges have the cracking too off the edge, but if this was the method I am not sure why the bird has red cracks.

That was my question and thoughts on the paint and Insignia, why is there the red cracks that look almost raised.

- Dean

Im not so sure there is a yellow under layer.Looking at post #4 where there is chipping and wear I dont see the yellow as being under the red and on top of the yellow.There are areas seem to show no layering of the yellow when looking at the green paint etc.

Hello, the only insignia that seems to have been repainted over is on post #12 on the liner.

There are 2 different shades of yellow and red. The eye of the Thunderbird is missing where it has been painted over.

This was surely done shortly after the insignias were painted due to chips of paint breaking off and leaving holes in the stencil.

I really like this lid and would add it to my collection in a heartbeat. I have three helmets that have very similar markings, but only have photos of one at the moment which I'll add here along with some period photos dating from Late-WWII into the immediate post war period.

post-41109-0-40396400-1547933352_thumb.jpg

post-41109-0-60498100-1547933386_thumb.jpg

I really like this lid and would add it to my collection in a heartbeat. I have three helmets that have very similar markings, but only have photos of one at the moment which I'll add here along with some period photos dating from Late-WWII into the immediate post war period.

attachicon.gifIMG_1981.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1980.JPG

looks like the 45th I had once and could very well be it in post 45