45th Chaplain Helmet - Thoughts / Update

MasonK

This was posted on a FB group for general antiques. Current owner found it mixed in with a toy/figure collection. Appears to be an original married set, with WWII era painted 45th Infantry Division insignia. lots of crazing present around the insignia, and it doesn't appear to be artificially done, at least to my novice eyes.

I assume this was painted up for immediate post-war occupation.

Thoughts from the masses? Talk about a find if original! It also has a laundry mark (37 matches) and a different last named carved into the liner. I'm sure between the two, you could easily cross reference against the 45th roster, and pin down the original owner.

post-29885-0-81301800-1547741466_thumb.jpg

I personally am not a fan of this, there is micro cracking bleed over on the insignia which looks like a chemical agent has been applied on top to create the cracked look.

The cracking looks very artificial

This is my opinion and I hope Im wrong for the sake of the buyer

Yours

- Dean

Thanks. Dint even notice the cross. You can see two pin holes from where it was previously mounted.

I asked the current owner if they liner comes out. Liner has painted decals as well.

One helluva set if authentic!

Some additional photos. appears the same name etched inside the liner is on the inside of the shell.

post-29885-0-22746000-1547745400_thumb.jpg

Captainofthe7th

The laundry mark does match an officer who was a Chaplain with the 103rd Div in WWII. His name is not Salter, though.

Alright, the chaplain served with both 103rd and 45th in WWII. I initially thought Korea, but I think it is a solid WWII lid. I would buy if I were you!

PM inbound.

Rob

The laundry mark does match an officer who was a Chaplain with the 103rd Div in WWII. His name is not Salter, though.

Alright, the chaplain served with both 103rd and 45th in WWII. I initially thought Korea, but I think it is a solid WWII lid. I would buy if I were you!

PM inbound.

Rob

Thanks, Rob! I appreciate your help. I've handed off all the research to her. I'm sure she's being inundated with offers. I think she is taking her time to figure out a price.

I'm likely not in the running, but plan on making an offer once she's ready. If I miss out, then it wasn't meant to be. I'm sure it will go to a good home regardless.

I'll update the thread if any new info comes to light.

Does this odd cracking thats spilling over the insignia look odd to anyone,

Also the veins in the paint look raised as if added on top of the yellow.

Im sure micro cracking is the top layer cracking thus creating ridges and cracks that would be shallow going down to the base later of the M1 helmet.

- Dean

post-8861-0-67687700-1547748472_thumb.jpeg

post-8861-0-68183100-1547748479_thumb.jpeg

Does this odd cracking thats spilling over the insignia look odd to anyone,

Also the veins in the paint look raised as if added on top of the yellow.

Im sure micro cracking is the top layer cracking thus creating ridges and cracks that would be shallow going down to the base later of the M1 helmet.

- Dean

Dean, I haven't studied enough painted helmets in hand to confirm if this type of bleed occurs naturally, artificially or both. The current owner is from Alabama. Wonder if being stored improperly in the heat/humidity would have an affect?

If the ID is correct (which it appears it may be), the original owner of this helmet was from Illinois. Not an area known for constant heat and humidity, but I imagine their summers are like PA (where I'm from), and it gets pretty hot and humid, especially in an attic without any ventilation. Again, alluding to improper storage being the cause.

Lastly, on the liner, there was definitely some amateur restoration done to the decal on the wearers right. You'll notice multiple areas where the paint was reapplied after some deterioration.

Reenactor, faker or the vet repairing his helmet after finding it was falling apart? I don't know the answer. Curious to hear the opinions of others.

post-29885-0-91730800-1547749655_thumb.jpg

Looks to me like that liner in particular had a lot of age on it before the insignia was applied. I think I'm seeing red in spaces where the paint has flaked off.

Burning Hazard

I like the look of this helmet, definitely post war appplied insignia. My guess is that the shell was covered in shellac and someone used acetone to remove it, hence the cracking in the insignia since acetone does that. I think the insignia is legit, you can see tiny areas of rusting coming in from underneath. A loupe would confirm.

Pat

OH!!!! A Chaplains helmet!!!!!

Marty

Hello 644td, I remember seeing a post with all the helmets from your collection but can't seem to locate it. One from the ETO was of particular interest, would it be possible to send the links to your helmets ? Many thanks.

PM inbound.

Rob

Hello Rob,

I agree, typical immediate post war helmet, occupation of Germany. I like it. I have seen many and this is a good one.