Dating ARMY Air Crew wings

easterneagle87

Not sure either, but I think they were a pain to keep shined. By the time I got out, "StayBright" was all the rage but it always looked like chromed plastic to me.

Hey! I was an ILARNG Grunt from 81- 98. Around 1989 -1995 they were training us to be Airmobile. Mostly over Fort McCoy.

I had a good 35+ round trips. Nape of the earth Doors open. Once at night and I was a squad leader so I had night vision.

The pilot and co pilot did too.

I always literally and figuratively looked up to you guys! No joke!

In 95 At McCoy the 101st was a couple barracks over and a pilot gave me a good swig of whiskey and invited me to a toga party they were throwing.

Roast pig all kinds of food Beer Beer Beer and a short a very short very older Woman in a Togo who looked up at me and said "you want some P___y?

Lol So I drifted back to my Barracks and did mange to make a few trip to refill my beer and stumble back to my Barracks.

You Air guys.... You really knew how to live and what a way to ride into a fight!!!

Prob wasnt you guys but thanks to you and guys like you!

Most awesome times!!!

I like to imagine with some raining and practice, I could fly a huey!!! lol

I watched you guys fly em enough. Some times I rode next to the crew chief facing forward and i watched.

Theres nothing like a huey! They shake on the ground while they are idiling... And when they give t the gas right before they lif offf......

It all smooths out kinda... And this big heavy thing just lifts off and the nose drops pointing to the ground and this big thing just roars off into the sky.. You can feel all the power.. We could always hear them coming from far off. They'd fly in land we'd run out climb in beltt on weapons up or down?? I ve forgotten now..

It was too cool. Paid to have fun.. Never had to do it for real.

My Hats office to Hueys drivers and crew mwmbers all of ya!!!

Yea I was was third string. Never put in the game.. (Thanking God for that).

I remember it was weapons down. That was SOP on the hueys. We didnt have ammo but we trained like we did.

I sure did enjoy flying in the Hueys.

Had two round trips in a Chinook. I never knew choppers could fly so high..

Everyone in the back ... about 30 ?? of us... was asleep..

except for me and the crew chief. He asked me if I was sleepy.. I said nope!

He said everyone else was sleeping because at the altitude we were at, oxygen was thin.. I was too wired to sleep.

Its a flying Greyhound Bus!!!

I think that is what I find so cool about collecting wings. I look at a wing and I wonder what the person who earned em had to go through?

What they saw and did and. Each Badge has a story even though I havn't been able to pick up any with provenance.

The wings, they represent courage! Hard work. Skill. Terror and fun too.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure either, but I think they were a pain to keep shined. By the time I got out, "StayBright" was all the rage but it always looked like chromed plastic to me.

I thought you might like this Matt!

Rooster

Fort McCoy Wisconsin... I think 1989....

3rd from the end in the air looking back !

Last two about to take off.

Cheers!

post-181333-0-43266500-1549870553_thumb.jpg