"Kamo" frog skin duck hunters...is this true?

P-59A

"This is a KAMO Vintage Vietnam Duck Hunter Advisor camo Shirt XL US size. This has a NIce Color and has 3 Pockets. This has great steel painted Stud WWII Style 13 Stars Starburst buttons that are all there. There are no rips or tears. This Style was often used by US military advisers Early on in the war and is based on the WWII pattern. This is a Nice Weight Cloth, not too thin and not too thick. A lot of them were purchased in Hong Kong or bought in US stores (like this one) and shipped over or accompanied the Soldiers going to Vietnam." Is this a true statement? Has anyone seen this?

post-169522-0-67927300-1548199641.jpg

post-169522-0-13765500-1548199669.jpg

post-169522-0-84466800-1548199687.jpg

post-169522-0-70414400-1548199698.jpg

These were sold for hunting. I highly doubt many of these if any were used by US Troops. Since they could be purchased in country for fairly cheap.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

They were worn by advisors to the Vietnamese early, like 1963-1965 or so.

post-153751-0-25616000-1548203135_thumb.jpg

Sergeant Wiliam Bowen, (center) of the US Military Assistance Command in Vietnam, discusses operational tactics with group of Vietnamese infantrymen during training exercise, Vietnam, 1963.

vintageproductions

They were not worn as much incountry as some would like you to believe.

You can find an occasional photo of them being worn but you can find way more photos from the same time period with Advisor's wearing local made camo also.

They are purely civilian made for hunting that a "few" pieces did make it to SEA and also Cuba for the Bay of Pigs disaster.

These were sold for hunting. I highly doubt many of these if any were used by US Troops. Since they could be purchased in country for fairly cheap.

????

They were used by US and ARVN troops until 65-66

I have plenty of photos showing this

Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that was interesting, I thought for sure that claim was total B.S. Does anyone have a known, worn example? Owen, If you have time would you post some photo's?

I have a top and pants set of these I got in an auction lot....They were a throw in, as I was interested in some WAC clothing and these were in with it....My top is lacking the neck tag, but is in very good condition....It also came with a camouflage head vale and a tin of face camouflage paste, the address on the tin lacking a manufacturer's zip code....This would mean it was made pre-1963....Does it mean it saw action in Vietnam?....I would like to think so, but would be hard to prove....However, I believe you'd be correct, if you wanted to use these hunting garments for doing an early Vietnam display....Bodes

Hey Bodes, the whole reason I even looked into this, I was researching a mint red tag set of these I bought years ago at the swapmeet. I knew they were 50's-60's vintage commercial hunting gear. I just never heard of them.

I'm guessing the M-56 canvas gear with the M-14 would be correct. Were these ever patched?

Don't think I've seen as much as a nametag on one....Would think the same for web gear and weapon....I have a mattel m16 I thought I'd put with mine....Bodes

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I may play around and do the life size GI Joe thing to see what I think, what about hat or helmet?

cowboy style boonie, or patrol cap, usually in frog skin to match, or if you don't have those, a m1 without cover, usually sewn chinstraps.

cowboy style boonie, or patrol cap, usually in frog skin to match, or if you don't have those, a m1 without cover, usually sewn chinstraps.

Good deal, thanks!

• 2 months later...

I have a set made from a WWII USMC shelter half. UNIS stencil inside on a trouser pocket bag. Buttons are green plastic but it appears to be from a military pattern. Never knew the history as I found it at a thrift store in upstate NY in '95 or so. At $5 I know I wasn't duped. I initially figured a mother or wife made a hunting outfit for a family member and almost passed on it but later research makes me guess it has a VN history. No way to tell. Took it to the big KC show in '95 or '96 to get ideas and a guy walked up and offered me $150 for the set. That would have been some quick money but I still have them. In a new world of reproductions I know these are not based solely on the price I paid but difficult to authenticate cottage made camos.

Dave