WWI 1st Div. Pvt. Axel J. Staley Silver Star.

dskjl

Really cool grouping! Very fun to see! thanks for sharing! Here is a bit more info for you to add:

Axel John Staley

Born: 19 Sep 1899 - Randers, Denmark

Died: 31 Mar 1977 - Yakima, Washington

Buried: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/71884335

Spouse: Ellen Ann Edwards (Married 20 Dec 1919 in Bingham, Idaho)

Children: John Pershing, Roy James, Kenneth E., Betty Jane, Leroy J., Patricia Olive, Donna Joan

He came to the US in 1906.

In 1921, he and his wife are living in Idaho Falls at 18 North Curtis Ave.

In 1923, they are at 274 4th Street, Idaho Falls, and he is an electrician.

In 1939, they are at 17th Street, Idaho Falls, and he is a cook.

In 1940, they are in Idaho Falls, and he is a tool checker.

Enlisted: 8 Apr 1917

Discharged: 12 Apr 1919

When he filled out his WWII draft registration card, he was 122lbs, 5'5" tall, light complexion, blue eyes, brown hair.

post-151812-0-40600900-1548193334_thumb.jpg

post-151812-0-77808100-1548193338_thumb.jpg

CNY Militaria

Looks like he had an interesting life in the 30's. In 1935 he was assaulted in a fight, and in 1939 charged with receiving a $33 payoff from a bank robbery.

Looks like he had an interesting life in the 30's. In 1935 he was assaulted in a fight, and in 1939 charged with receiving a $33 payoff from a bank robbery.

Wow, can you send me to the location of that data?

Thanks,

Silver star is numbered 6503

I wonder which of the 4 ! ! issued Silver stars is in the pictures. If it is his first issued one from 1934, and the number 6503 points in that direction, why was it re-issued 3 times?

It seems he kept loosing them.... (and finding them back?)

Regards

Herman

I wonder which of the 4 ! ! issued Silver stars is in the pictures. If it is his first issued one from 1934, and the number 6503 points in that direction, why was it re-issued 3 times?

It seems he kept loosing them.... (and finding them back?)

Regards

Herman

Herman,

please share the data you are referencing this is getting more interesting with each post.

Thanks,

Just a quick observation. The award cards are missing the 1's at the end of his serial number. Also, their might be a Purple Heart with his name out there. Some Veterans GO 1 Orders have also a Purple Heart as well. Good luck and great grouping.

I sorry I spoke too soon. His lapel discharge pin is bronze. If it was silver, then a PH is out there. It can't hurt to a little deeper.

First Division GO#1 of 1920 was specifically for SS awards to soldiers for having been wounded. He would have been eligible for a Purple Heart.

Kurt

Sounds like being a cook or tool checker didn't make ends meet with a family during the depression.

If he only got caught twice for infractions I wonder how much he got away with?

A wonderfully simple group with a rich, intriguing and elaborate history.

I have a question Kastauffer. Would the discharge pin be silver. Also on the award card says French Fourragere. That should be a shoulder cord not a medal that is in the group. I haven't heard of a medal and a cord together. The discharge pin could mean they ran out of silver at the time issue.

My grandfather never a received a SSM for his GO1 order. The card is just stamped like the one here on this thread. I contacted the US Army in 2016 and they approved his SSM almost 100 years later.