Long thread on fakery: On Ebay - are these WW2 Airborne uniforms real or not?

devilstoothpick

Okay, here's one that's truly a "wait, what?!?!?!" situation. 

I'm seeing about $200 worth of stuff here. Maybe. And on a good day. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-USAAF-Officers-Khaki-Wool-Uniform-Group-15th-Air-Force-Complete/392961900391

fdsfdsfds.jpg

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

TheCrustyBosun
1 hour ago, Dave said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-USAAF-Officers-Khaki-Wool-Uniform-Group-15th-Air-Force-Complete/392961900391

fdsfdsfds.jpg

Yeah, I’ve been watching this one. I started the bidding before finding this thread. Don’t worry, I didn’t bid much ($12). Someone is standing tall for this one. Belly up to the bar, boys!

R. Patterson

Boatswains Mate

USCG 1998-2010

“The Boatswain’s Mate and Coxswain is A JACK OF ALL TRADES AND A MASTER OF THEM ALL.”- 1944 edition of the BM2c training course material. 
“They gave us an engine that first went up and down. With some more technology, the engine went around. We know of steam and diesel, but what’s a main yard for? A sailor ain’t a sailor, ain’t a sailor anymore!”- The Last Shanty

My only thought is maybe the name was for someone famous, but a quick search found nothing. Plus with the sellers reputation I wouldn't trust it if I did find something interesting. 

phantomfixer

IMO that visor cap is a repop with the stitching pulled out...not seeing anything close to 2500.....

Bid history tells all.  I would suspect that all 3 of these are shill bidding accounts. The 1500 feedback guy might be a legit bidder as he primarily bids in the military categories. 

2020-10-05_15-16-36.jpg.872fc132ab251aa03e79cc42e525d834.jpg

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

WWIIinterviews

I've only been collecting a couple of years now, and if this keeps happening I might as well stop now. I see no name on this and can't imagine why this sold for this amount. Whoever -****(1) is deserves a share of that.

Looking for anything related to WWII ETO gliders and pilots, uniforms, photos, etc. I am also looking for 8th AF B-17 crew uniforms and gear.

huntssurplus

I wouldn't be surprised if he is shill bidding a lot of these listings. My opinion is that a lot of these uniforms probably have some original aspects to them, but they have all also been added too. Some might be completely made up though. Honestly I think it's best to stay away, and I have not bid and do not plan to ever bid on anything from this guy. However, I think we will definitely have some repercussions in the future with all the stuff this guy is sending into the market. Lets just hope all of these collectors hold on to these uniforms indefinitely. Really shows how big the collecting community is especially the amount of people collecting not on the forum. 

He must have some time to add everything though. Maybe this is the case of him starting by adding a few ribbons or other insignia to uniforms and then when he saw the $$$ he increased his output to becoming a full time faker? Similar to a Jkash in the helmet world besides the forum connection? I just can't believe the sheer quantity of items this guy has, it's like 10 new uniforms every week. Hence why I think he might have gotten a little carried away by some of the money he was making on groups. 

Hunt

I am an amateur collector of US military items of the 20th century.

Looking for items related to:

-The Aleutian Island Campaign of WW2, Alaskan Theater, Alaska Defense Command, and more specifically the Battle of Attu

-Items related to the 50th Combat Engineer Regiment/Battalion

-Items related to Wheelus Air Force Base Libya, particularly from 1957-1960

-WW2 items belonging to service members from Northern Virginia

-WW2 Uniforms (all branches and services)

-Cheap/Throwaway WW2 named uniforms

-Smaller WW2 Groupings

-7th Infantry Division Items

-WW2 Photos and Letters (all branches, theaters, services, etc)

^^ PM ME!!

Instagram: @surplus_central https://instagram.com/surplus_central/

eBay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/giovachm

TheCrustyBosun
10 hours ago, Dave said:

fdsfdsfds.jpg

Its been re-listed. 

R. Patterson

Boatswains Mate

USCG 1998-2010

“The Boatswain’s Mate and Coxswain is A JACK OF ALL TRADES AND A MASTER OF THEM ALL.”- 1944 edition of the BM2c training course material. 
“They gave us an engine that first went up and down. With some more technology, the engine went around. We know of steam and diesel, but what’s a main yard for? A sailor ain’t a sailor, ain’t a sailor anymore!”- The Last Shanty