• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Long thread on fakery: On Ebay - are these WW2 Airborne uniforms real or not?

Forum member 2ndInf.Div. Went to NARA and checked B. Co., 507th PIR from October 1944 through March 1945 and did not see a Woodrow Frank mentioned anywhere.

I will return the group to the seller and he will refund the total amount I paid.

Hopefully more luck next time in finding an Airborne Uniform. I have learned a lot.

Thanks for your help!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this particular group is put together and you are right to return it....but one point regarding muster reports (if that is what was checked); Its absolutely possible to check the surviving muster reports for a unit and find no mention of an individual you know belonged. The muster reports typically only mentioned unit members by name when some kind of event occurred, transfer, wound, court martial etc. If one or two key reports are missing you may not find the person you are looking for.

I will pay top dollar for original WWII items pertaining to:

OSS

OSS Maritime Unit

NCDU

UDT

Scouts and Raiders

FSSF

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

He's back!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-IDd-WW2-502nd-PIR-D-Day-Combat-Vet-Uniform-Group-More/392264513662

Here's his comment on the Krause group that was bad...

Screenshot_4.jpg

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Thank all of you for your opinions on this seller. I am a beginner when it comes to collecting uniforms so this is great information to look for when buying authentic uniforms. Now if I can just find a couple to get your opinions on.

Looking for anything related to WWII ETO gliders and pilots, uniforms, photos, etc. I am also looking for 8th AF B-17 crew uniforms and gear.

Unfortunately the days of being able to obtain Airborne uniforms ( along with painted helmets etc, ) safely ended nearly 20 years ago when the popularity and consequent prices started to go up so high.

There is still plenty of genuine stuff out there, but the vast majority of the good material went into the hands of collectors years ago and seldom comes out much.

I feel too much emphasis is placed on names and attributions with uniforms these days. While it is often important in order to authenticate a uniform, it is not always possible to link a name or other markings definitively. Not saying that the group in question on this thread is good, but one cant always be sure by this factor alone.

CB

• 3 weeks later...

Since I found this thread, I started following this guy on eBay and started saving pictures from every item that he sells for reference in case I see the uniform pop up at a show or ever see something back on the market.

Not claiming to be an expert at all, but like previously stated the writing on the inside seems to be similar on a lot of his items. I cross checked some of the names with Unit rosters and some are very carefully picked from known rosters where there is just a name with little to know other information on the individual. I have even contacted people that I know at the 82nd ABN Div and Airborne and Special Ops Museum around Ft Bragg and quite a few names are not even legit or not Airborne Soldiers at all.

What is the most disturbing is that this man has made close to $15k-18k since the beginning of the new of selling his crap on eBay. Additionally he is buying lots of items on eBay and literally putting stuff together and selling it as a grouping.

How do you even stop something like this?

• 2 weeks later...

I dont like the SSI seems odd to me, but everything else seems OK. But thats not saying much coming from the source

Check out my eBay page, I sell military insignia and just about anything else I come across

Link: https://www.ebay.com/sch/fitzkeemilitaria/m.html?item=223497878518&hash=item340982fbf6%3Ag%3ASs4AAOSw-llcxhqe&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Please check out my web page as well for more items for sale

https://fitzkeemilitaria.com/

• 3 months later...

All -

Always good to try and smoke out fakers and talk about fakes etc. A few observations - Well, I have been collecting since 1982 I HOPE when my kids have to go to college and I gotta cash in no one on here calls me a faker because I am selling too many "good" items at the same time. I mean always good to be skeptical but in the end that shouldn't be a deal breaker?

Also, IF this guy were picking soldiers with more complete records or "famous" records I am sure someone here would say "too obvious to be real". Seems to me soldiers with middle of the road or hard to find info. would seem to be more "normal" than ones easily researched?? Now, that said IF its true that the names in the uniforms simply aren't on any available para or special forces roster that would seem to be more of a real "red flag".

I believe the seller mentions in his descriptions that he is a USMC Vietnam veteran and that he received many of his USMC uniforms from veterans at his VFW chapter? Anyway to verify if this guy is actually a Vietnam vet? Again, don't know if true or not but the story is plausible no? I know collectors on this forum currently who are members of veterans groups who receive uniforms fairly commonly from vets in the group. I have seen some pretty incredible stuff from these guys! Will these items be deemed "fake" in 20 years when they sell?

As far as names penned/stamped in jackets - I suppose it in the eye of the beholder - I can't even tell if my kids look alike or like me or whatever, I certainly am no handwriting expert. That said, some of those stamps were standard formats so I don't think it is too surprising some might be the same? I suppose if they were all radically different someone might say "the name stamps are too obviously different to be real".

Please note, most of my statements end in question marks - playing more devil's advocate here than anything. I too have been collecting a long time and have seen just about everything, but I certainly proclaim no expertise. With all the new technology and information out there I often wonder if we are entering, to use the common parlance of the times, the "post-collectible" era?

Best regards,

Bill K.

WTB USMC NAMED GROUPINGS, WWI, WWII (ESPECIALLY 4TH MARINE DIVISION ITEMS) AND UNIS MARKED ITEMS, NAMED INFANTRY DIVISION 4 POCKET CLASS A JACKETS, ESPECIALLY 34th ID AND NAMED GROUPINGS, FIRST SPECIAL SERVICE FORCE ITEMS

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

• 4 months later...

Return it.

With all the faking, restoring, altering and reproducing that is taking place in the collecting community today, the chain of ownership is extremely important. It's a major part of the provenance. I know of major historical groups in private collections which aren't how they originally were. Keep in mind unscrupulous people have faked provenance, documentation and capture papers.

Send it back.

Wanted: Documented WW I 2nd Division Purple Hearts (♥).

• 5 months later...

Bumping this thread back up to the top again! As it seems that mdennis3 decided to now sell some Army Airforce groups on eBay...

Screenshot_20200613-232257_eBay.jpg

Field of interest in WWII and always interested in purchasing items related to the following:

26th Infantry "Yankee" Division

Army Nurse Corps

Purple Hearts/Medal Group (KIA/WIA) to ETO men

Purple Hearts/Medal Group (KIA/WIA)

KIA Purple Hearts specific men

My personal website about the 26th Infantry Division:

Good catch, I saw it too and thought it looked familiar but didn't know from where. He claims to have been collecting for 55 years and that his items are all vet/estate acquired.

Hunt

I am an amateur collector of US military items of the 20th century.

Looking for items related to:

-The Aleutian Island Campaign of WW2, Alaskan Theater, Alaska Defense Command, and more specifically the Battle of Attu

-Items related to the 50th Combat Engineer Regiment/Battalion

-Items related to Wheelus Air Force Base Libya, particularly from 1957-1960

-WW2 items belonging to service members from Northern Virginia

-WW2 Uniforms (all branches and services)

-Cheap/Throwaway WW2 named uniforms

-Smaller WW2 Groupings

-7th Infantry Division Items

-WW2 Photos and Letters (all branches, theaters, services, etc)

^^ PM ME!!

Instagram: @surplus_central https://instagram.com/surplus_central/

eBay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/giovachm

Yes, he is back at it - I almost fell for it.  He has a really "nice group" to a North Carolina veteran which would be an absolute stunner but unfortunately he has ruined many a good groups.  Thanks to this forum I can save my money.

Actively collecting:

13th USAAF uniforms and groups/medal groups!

307th BG, 5th BG, 11th BG, 42nd BG

Also looking for:

WWII Far East Air Force uniforms/groups!

Any Pacific Army Air Force Groups to 5th, 7th, 10th, 14th, 20th AAF

Collecting CBI and ATC Pacific Army Air Force groups

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifmsg-24355-0-77312200-1449362814.gif

USMF's custom photo resize tool:http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/229816-custom-resize-tool-exclusively-for-the-usmf/

Thanks for the warning, I had bid on a few but I guess they were too good to be true. one of his 8th air force groups has a high bid of 1,500 so someone will be very disappointed if its not 100% legit.

donation2019.gif

• 3 months later...