First Mannequin Display- 29th Division, Winter of 1944

Hey all,

I was finally able to pick up my first mannequin fairly cheap from a local resale shop. Ive been wanting one for awhile as I really love the variety of displays you can use them for.

I decided to test them out using some new uniforms I got from a D-Day vet and Silver Star, Bronze Star, and two times Purple Heart recipient who commanded C then B company of the 115th Infantry Regiment. Both kits used his uniforms as the base and the accessories were basically whatever I had lying around to try and make a displayable kit. Feel free to critique as I havent researched this unit too much and would love to make it only more accurate by picking up proper pieces at the SOS in February.

First is an enlisted man using his Melton wool overcoat, the outline of a 29th patch is there so I will probably sew one back on at some point

8b1aabd81149d43702bf915728686294.jpg

4f16f5873e537eb2c1b2480e7b3c4d1e.jpg

Next is an officer load out. I really liked the early Jeep coat and wanted to show it off in a field use setting. I dont have much in the way of Officer equipment so its a bit of a mix-match.

0e906942ebafec1d3dd5bc8c9bbaf02c.jpg

fcfb46ce65f06ca5cf89cbfacb5147fb.jpg

6f2289d4a17efbdcc1037492a1ed40e7.jpg

As of now I know I would like to get a GI scarf, better Musette strap, some different helmet netting, shoulder captain insignia, a holster for the officer, and some better fitting undershirts and pants as Im just using my reenacting ones for now.

GEN. David R. Atchinson- MO State Guard              ACW

PVT. John H. Drury- Co. A, 27th Ky IR                      ACW               Died of Typhoid

PVT. Henry E. Thomas- Co. I, 17th Ky IR                  ACW

PVT. Joseph E. Drury- Co. E, 356th IR, 89th ID       WWI                WIA

SGT. Edward P. Drury- 51st QM Training Co.           WWII

PFC. Delmer C. Koonter- Co. I, 142nd IR, 36th ID    WWII              WIA

SC3c Michael C. Drury- LCS (L) (3) 70                     WWII

SGT. Steven D. Koonter- 5th Cav, 1st Cav Div         Vietnam

SGT. John M. Drury- 227th AVN Bn. 1st Cav Div     Vietnam

Contact me with items from the 36th Infantry Division or any IDd uniforms of European Theater Infantry Divisions

A little write up I put next to the display

Posted Image

Some photos I used as reference for Officer coat; I would still like to find some more as I mostly found these being used by members of the Air Corps

Posted Image

Posted Image

PVT. John H. Drury- Co. A, 27th Ky IR                      ACW               Died of Typhoid

Contact me with items from the 36th Infantry Division or any IDd uniforms of European Theater Infantry Divisions

Great starter display, thanks for sharing! Keep us updated as you add and update it. It's fun to see these grow piece by piece. Every new item has it's own story. Photos are great because some of them you can see what exactly they were wearing and using for gear and try to match it to them.

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. Amazing how they fought in those wool overcoats.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less."

GEN Robert E. Lee

If you have space then uniforms always look far better displayed on a mannequin. Did the 29th use cargo net covers in the winter of '44? I've only seen pictures of the smaller netting.

Oh I know, I love the way they look but I always have trouble finding some for a decent price. I remember seeing a photo of a guy in one of the 29th HQ companies (which this guy was apart of for a little while) long ago with what looked like a cargo net but I couldnt tell. Personally Id like to replace it with the smaller netting anyway.

Nice neutral mannequins that don't distract. Something that adds to the display are 30.06 dummy rounds in an en bloc rather than just blanks. You can either make them yourself pretty cheaply by crimping bullet heads onto spent casings or just buy some.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, I’ve picked up a few things here and there so I thought I would update the post.

So I’ve been focusing on the Officer impression since the uniform came from a captain, as such I have added some rank insignia where they used to be. I’ve also put on a better helmet netting, GI issue scarf, and a GP strap for the bag. I’m still trying to find a decently priced holster to throw on there and some lighter shade equipment pieces to match the belt. (In case anyone has some they wouldn’t mind letting go, feel free to message me!)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 2 months later...