Gorgeous! Custom Made 1870s Navy Sailor Uniform

carnut63

This uniform was recently at auction this last weekend but went for way more than I can afford. Was anyone on here lucky enough to get it? The set is beautifully tailored from around 1875-1880. Hundreds of hours must have went into it, I think I counted 60 embroidered stars on the pants alone. The cap is hand done gold U.S.S. Powhatan

Simply the most artistic uniform I have ever seen...Just wanted to share.

post-6259-0-27472100-1548095650_thumb.jpg

post-6259-0-13559400-1548095664_thumb.jpg

post-6259-0-63761200-1548096265_thumb.jpg

What would a uniform that ornate be used for? It doesn't appear to have any wear to speak of. An amazing item in any event. What did it sell for?

Some say these custom made uniforms were used for liberty only...but this one is over the top. I think the Sailor made it onboard as a hobby IMO. I dont think it was made overseas as there would be hundreds and hundreds of hours into it. It sold for $3,300 plus any buyers premium.

What would a uniform that ornate be used for? It doesn't appear to have any wear to speak of. An amazing item in any event. What did it sell for?

. There was an old Navy tradition called the Homwsrd Bounder. A ship was Commissioned for a Cruise. The cruise lasted 3-4 years. During the first half of the cruise, the crew collect Stuff, bits and pieces, to make a special uniform. At the half way point of the cruise, they start their Uniform, to have it finished when they returned from the cruise. When they returned, the ship was decommissioned and the crew Paid Off,( discharged). They would wear their Homward Bound uniforms as they left the ship. It told everyone they were Sailors returning from a cruise and no longer under Naval authority.

American Graffiti

Wow, thanks for showing

That is incredible, very rock n roll, looks almost like a Nudie Cohen stage suit but from a very long time before

AG

• 3 months later...

. There was an old Navy tradition called the Homwsrd Bounder. A ship was Commissioned for a Cruise. The cruise lasted 3-4 years. During the first half of the cruise, the crew collect Stuff, bits and pieces, to make a special uniform. At the half way point of the cruise, they start their Uniform, to have it finished when they returned from the cruise. When they returned, the ship was decommissioned and the crew Paid Off,( discharged). They would wear their Homward Bound uniforms as they left the ship. It told everyone they were Sailors returning from a cruise and no longer under Naval authority.

That's pretty cool tradition, likely an evolution of sailors adorning their attire with trinkets collectedon their voyages. U.S. Navy ships were not decommissioned after a cruise, but this could be a variation on that tradition, with a sailor either fashioning this or commissioning it to celebrate the end of his contract.

Absolutely GORGEOUS! A true work of art in every sense. Thank you for posting pictures of this magnificent uniform.