German Flag signed by members of same company

GIKyle

Got this from a friend a few years back. Belonged to Phil Morkwed of Wisconsin. As I researched the names, it's evident they were all part of D Company, 26th Infantry and most arrived to the company before the Sicily invasion. I think Morkwed wrote everyone's name on the flag since all the names seem to be in the same handwriting, and that it was done toward the end of the war.

Here's an overview of the group plus a photo of Morkwed (he's on the right)

post-537-0-41818400-1548094092_thumb.jpgpost-537-0-17985100-1548094095_thumb.jpg

Awesome grouping, a captured Nazi flag is one of my wish list items. Very cool that you could identify most of the names on the flag and found out their enlistment dates. Is this from the Sicily campaign or during the invasion of France/ Afterwards.

Thanks! I suspect this is from late in the war - the only reason I say this is their is an absence of KIAs. I have a short snorter that was filled out before D-Day and a few KIAs signed their name to it. I may be incorrect, but that's my theory on it.

Interesting theory but I can see that for sure, it’s a really neat piece overall though Kyle ( you know where to find good 1st ID stuff for sure)

• 1 month later...