Carbine Magazine Bag

LtRGFRANK

post-551-1229388888.jpg

post-551-1229388830.jpg

Some time ago I posted a picture of two magazine carry bags. I posted the smaller one was for M-1 cabine 30 rd Magazines. I stated I had a page out of a QM book showing it but I had misplaced it. I made contact with a friend/dealer that had given me the QM info. He just sent a copy of a QM book 1945 for Headquarters. It shows accessories for the M-1 Carbine and it shows the bag "Case,Magazine,30 Round, With Shoulder Strap". I think its one of the items that the Army reissued as more stuff entered the service. This bag was probably first issued for grease gun magazines but when the 30rd Carbine magazine entered the service the bag was swithed to carry them. Robert

Its interesting to see the canvas carbine scabbard illustrated on the page being described as for the M1A1.

I picked one of these up recently and was under the impression that this was a holster for linesmen, engineers, and artillery crews.

Could you possibly post a close up of the QM description for the canvas scabbard/holster?

craig_pickrall

LtRGFRANK, can you provide the title and number of that manual or a photo of the cover? It would sure be helpful.

Here are some pics from the developmental period that shows that carbine holster in use with the standard and experimental carbines.

post-5-1229402073.jpg

post-5-1229402066.jpg

post-5-1229402060.jpg

post-5-1229402049.jpg

post-5-1229402042.jpg

El Bibliotecario

Informative photos. FWIW, Pacific Canvas and Leather makes a reproduction of the carbine holster--I mention this only because their website photos show the item in more detail.

A previous poster mentioned issue to wiremen, engineers, and FA troopies. Imagine how one would perform any of those duties with a 3' encumbrance hanging on one's belt. I'd speculate that if this gadget ever made it to issue, the troops threw it away.

Great photos, I haven't been able to find more than passing mention of these holsters in my references.

The holster I have is dated 1942 and was made by the Jefferson Quartermaster Depot and appears to have definitely been issued with the name CORRIERE and a C-xxxx laundry number stenciled on it.

Is there any confirmation of field usage of this item beyond testing?

Great photos, I haven't been able to find more than passing mention of these holsters in my references.

The holster I have is dated 1942 and was made by the Jefferson Quartermaster Depot and appears to have definitely been issued with the name CORRIERE and a C-xxxx laundry number stenciled on it.

Is there any confirmation of field usage of this item beyond testing?

The only evidence I have seen of it in use is some documentary footage from the Pacific. The footage shows a medic wearing one while helping lift some wounded into a vehicle (I can't remember what kind).

Roger what Hawkdriver said; I've seen a great number of Marine-issue 30-round Tommy mag carriers (3-cells which used to sell for $15 but are now through the roof), but never any that were just marked "U.S."; excepting the 5-mag 20-round carriers. With the availability of the bags in the photos, along with the advent of the General Purpose Ammo/Grenade bags (both of which will carry a lot more stick-mags than the belt pouch), A.G.F. probably figured there was no use bothering with a 3-mag belt pouch.

craig_pickrall

The thing I am curious about is the manual itself. I think it is a dealer put together. Notice the different color section like stripes across the page. A normal manual isn't like that.

I have seen several times that the holster for the standard carbine was not well received and was passed on to ROTC very quickly. I have an ROTC WW2 period infantry manual that shows the holster. I am curious too of the picture of a medic carrying the holster as medics were supposed to be unarmed. I know in the pacific that medics did go armed since my father was a medic and he carried a carbine but it is easy to drop the rifle and appear unarmed but not so easy to get that holster off your belt.

craig_pickrall

Thanks for the additional info on the manual. I know what the problem is now. He scanned the pics and the printer is causing those lines.

The manual is a good one but there is a printer error. The caption with the holster is incorrect. On the page before the one you show they have the holster for the folding stock carbine and it has the caption that belongs with the holster you show. They simply reversed the photos and captions.